to decline; to deny; to reject
plant
refuse
borrow
affect

What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"?

'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other | bear vs. hold vs. carry
What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"? #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2007 0:20 am   What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #22 "Egg expressions", question 2

I know you didn't exactly push him into accepting the offer but you must admit you did egg him on.

(a) did force him
(b) did enable him
(c) did encourage him
(d) did send him

ESL/EFL Test #22 "Egg expressions", answer 2

I know you didn't exactly push him into accepting the offer but you must admit you did encourage him.

Correct answer: (c) did encourage him
_________________________

Goran
Goran

What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"? #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:02 am   What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"?

.
Many dictionaries explain etymologies, EL:

[Origin: 11501200; ME < ON eggja to incite, deriv. of egg = edge. O.E. ecg "corner, edge," also "sword," from P.Gmc. *agjo (cf. O.N. egg, see egg (v.); Ger. Eck "corner"), from PIE base *ak- "sharp, pointed" (cf. L. acies, Gk. akis "point;" see acrid).]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Random House, Inc. 2006.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
what is "has a screw loose" mean?difference between present perfect and present continuesWhat does 'speeded up' mean in this content?What do you mean by "as cool as cucumber"?What does majority mean?What does this idiom mean: to be into something?careened vs. reeledmeaning of concludedWord order in a positive sentenceWhy can't we use the word "sour" in this context?what does "hairy" mean?Is manager also the owner of business?Idiom: To bend over backwards