a person who keeps financial records; a person who conducts financial audits

Choose vs Select

many a times vs many a time | Sentence: More than you think so?
Choose vs Select #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:56 am   Choose vs Select

I often use sentences with choose (select). Can you explain the difference between them? Which is better to use in technical documentation?
TIA, Jane.
You can meet me at

Choose vs Select #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:13 am   Choose vs Select

In common usage, both 'choose' and 'select' are often interchanged. Yet in some contexts, this isn't possible. For example, when 'choose' has the sense of 'decide': In the end they chose not to go to the beach.

Some say that one implies more thought than the other -- there seems to be a bit of disagreement on this. Also, 'choose' is more commonly used than 'select', which, in some contexts, might be slightly formal.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Choose vs Select #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 27, 2009 15:19 pm   Choose vs Select

While they seem similar, choose and select are quite different. You choose a single item or person and you select multiple items or people.

When you have to pick one thing or person from a group, you are choosing. However when picking out things or people from that group, you are selecting those things or people.

Location: Bear, Delaware

Usage of stuckUsage of thrust and twisttwirl vs whirl vs windSentence: My change in party affiliation does not mean that...tip vs tilt vs bendUsage of 'present perfect continuous'that take you vs that takes youUsage of 'comes on'Expression of gratitudeComing towards me vs coming from opposite sideSentence: Thomas Rock, director of admissions at Columbia University's TeachersUsage of 'to leave hair loose'Dint have vs Dint had