Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who belongs to an organization or group; part; organ
locksmith
gain
manager
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Could I say 'pass on a message'?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
When to use "have" | Expression: blobs of gilt
listening exercisestell a friend
Could I say 'pass on a message'? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2007 17:09 pm   Could I say 'pass on a message'?

Hi,Alan, Mister Micawber, Yankee

There is one situation. If I phone to someone,and he/she is not there. Could I please the secretary that 'Could you pass on a message to him/her?'? Is this a polite way? Or people how to describle this situation? Thanks in advance!

Greetings!

Maggie :?:
I'm here quite often ;-)

Could I say 'pass on a message'? #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2007 18:07 pm   Could I say 'pass on a message'?

One way to do it:

"Could (or "Would...") you please tell her that..."

Another way to do it:

"Could you leave a message, please? Please tell her that..."

Or if you only want her to call you back:

"Could you please have her (or "ask her to...") call me back? My number is..."

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Could I say 'pass on a message'? #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2007 18:25 pm   Could I say 'pass on a message'?

Hi, Prezbucky

I just cant figure out why you wrote "Could you leave a message"
In my book, if I call smbd, and he/she is absent and his/her colleague answers the phone, maybe I should say "Could I leave a message" ? (because It is I who want to leave a message)
Or you meant another thing?

thanks
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Could I say 'pass on a message'? #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2007 18:43 pm   Could I say 'pass on a message'?

I'm asking the person if he or she will leave/deliver a message for/to the person I want to contact.

In this case, it is implied that the message being delivered is from me.

"Would you please leave a message for her (from me)? Please tell her that..."

It could be done your way as well. Either way, the person to whom you're speaking will (hopefully...) grab a pen or pencil and take the message... and put it in a place where the target will see it.

Could I say 'pass on a message'? #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2007 19:27 pm   Could I say 'pass on a message'?

Hi LS and Maggie

Instead of Tom's original sentence, I would recommend this version: "Could you leave her a message, please? Please tell her that..."

Or you can say these:
Could I leave a message? (as LS suggested)
Could you take a message?

Also, saying "Could you ask her to (do something)" sounds a little more polite than "Could you tell her to (do something)":

"Could you ask her to call me back, please?"

Using 'ask someone to do something' means that you are making a polite request. Using 'tell someone to do something' sounds like a command (i.e. less polite).

Could I say 'pass on a message'? #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2007 19:44 pm   Could I say 'pass on a message'?

Much of the form of delivery has to do with the familiarity between you and the message-taker.

Could I say 'pass on a message'? #7 (permalink) Wed Apr 11, 2007 20:45 pm   Could I say 'pass on a message'?

I agree, Tom. The choice of words can depend on other things, too -- such as whether it's a boss-employee relationship, a company-customer relationship, the nature of the request itself, etc. The nice thing about so-called "standard phrases/sentences" is that they're safe to use in a wide variety of situations.

Maggie wrote:
Could I please the secretary that 'Could you pass on a message to him/her?'? Is this a polite way?

Maggie, you used the word "please" in your sentence. I think the word you wanted to use was "ask". Here is my suggested version of your original question:
Could I ask the secretary (this): 'Could you give him/her a message?'

The phrasal verb "pass on" is not wrong, and you could also use "pass along", but neither one of these is as typical as "give".

When to use "have" | Expression: blobs of gilt
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What match did he ask for?Phrase: farther cheekMeaning of "i get some money for win"?Relative pronoun vs Interrogative pronounmanner vs customMeaning of "she were to come tomorrow"Do native speakers say "So Long"?Free weekly podcast for EFL learnersWhat's the difference btw small and little, big and large?1 March 2007 or 1st March 2007?with definite article or without?Phrase: vice gone feeble and unenterprising and dullIndirect questions (use 'could you tell me..' and 'do you know...')