wrong; erroneous; imprecise; unseemly; improper
budget
incorrect
formal
superfluous

difference between "forge" and "imitate"

Try + gerund | Solitary VERSUS lonely
difference between "forge" and "imitate" #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 15, 2007 17:30 pm   difference between "forge" and "imitate"

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Expressions and Gerunds", question 9

They were really excited and thought they'd bought a painting by Van Gogh but an expert pointed out that the signature had been imitated.

(a) excited
(b) by
(c) imitated

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Expressions and Gerunds", answer 9

They were really excited and thought they'd bought a painting by Van Gogh but an expert pointed out that the signature had been forged.

Correct entry: forged
The error was: (c) imitated
_________________________

could you explain the difference between "forge" and "imitate"

biden Jr.
biden Jr.

difference between "forge" and "imitate" #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 15, 2007 17:38 pm   difference between "forge" and "imitate"

To imitate is to copy or to do like (someone).

To forge is to copy something illegaly.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between "forge" and "imitate" #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:55 am   difference between "forge" and "imitate"

Dear teachers
Could you explain, please, why "falsified" cant be used here?

correct sentence:
They were really excited and thought they'd bought a painting by Van Gogh, but an expert pointed out that the signature had been
forged.

Correct entry: forged
The error was: (c) imitated

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
your sentence:
falsified.

Many thanks in advance.
Nataliru

difference between "forge" and "imitate" #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:21 am   difference between "forge" and "imitate"

In the test the word 'falsified' is not offered as one of the choices. As to whether it can or not be used in that sentence is another matter. 'Falsify' is more often used for illegally creating things like documents or statements rather than for simply forging a signature.

_________________

difference between "forge" and "imitate" #5 (permalink) Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 am   difference between "forge" and "imitate"

Oh, I see it now. Thanks a lot. :)
Nataliru

difference between "forge" and "imitate" #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:26 am   difference between "forge" and "imitate"

Can the word replicated be used?
Wicked_Oreo

Try + gerund | Solitary VERSUS lonely
Adapt himself to new things?I can't understand what go down swinging means...Instead of 'Only later did I realize...' I would have said 'Only later I relized'Expression: Shoe pinches soon enoughResponsible for establishing and maintaining an internal control structure?What does "some z's" mean?What does catch some z's mean? What are z's?"have got egg on his face" what does it mean?Meaning of "nerd and wimp"Can't you leave well enough alone = don't mention the thing again?surrendered vs. desertedIt was a direct consequence of his failure?What does 'benched' mean?