in a close-fitting manner; firmly
above
tight
particularly
late

What does "still in the black" mean?

when we can able to use this word "yelp"? | What does 'Even a dead cat will bounce if dropped from high enough' mean?
What does "still in the black" mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 15, 2007 17:48 pm   What does "still in the black" mean?

ESL/EFL Test #140 "Annual Report", question 10

Although the company's overall ......... was weak, its bottom line was still in the black.

(a) action
(b) activity
(c) performance
(d) progress

ESL/EFL Test #140 "Annual Report", answer 10

Although the company's overall performance was weak, its bottom line was still in the black.

Correct answer: (c) performance

Although the company's overall action was weak, its bottom line was still in the black.
_________________________

What does "still in the black" mean?

Thank you
Julia
Julia

What does "still in the black" mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 15, 2007 18:01 pm   What does "still in the black" mean?

Was still in the black => (the company) was still prospering.

Some additional information from Dictionary.com:

Idiom(s):
in the black
On the credit side of a ledger; prosperous.

Online Etymology Dictionary:
To be in the black (1928) is from the accounting practice of recording credits and balances in black ink.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Why can't write a SOME order?what does incessant mean?what does granting mean?What does garbled mean?Meaning of "ivory towers"checked into the hotel vs. checked on the hotelThis room is as same as mine vs. This room is the same as mineWhat does session mean?what is the meaning of haul?Is it an idiom: 'convert prospects into paying customers'?Is it an idiom: 'repeat business'?yesterday vs. todaywhat is "has a screw loose" mean?