Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

first in place or rank; primary; leading; main
anyhow
moderately
either
foremost
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

For the first time

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Call a person and dial a number | Difference between firstly and primary
listening exercisestell a friend
For the first time #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:25 am   For the first time

Test No. incompl/elem-18 "Making an Appointment", question 10

Possibly you also know the expression 'blind date', which is a rendezvous with a person you have never seen before and you are meeting them ......... the first time.

(a) at
(b) in
(c) for
(d) from

Test No. incompl/elem-18 "Making an Appointment", answer 10

Possibly you also know the expression 'blind date', which is a rendezvous with a person you have never seen before and you are meeting them for the first time.

Correct answer: (c) for

Your answer was: incorrect
Possibly you also know the expression 'blind date', which is a rendezvous with a person you have never seen before and you are meeting them at the first time.

Dear Alan,
I don't understand why we use "meet for the first time" instead of "at the first time" in this sentence?
Is there anything wrong with my memory since I remember that there's 1 movie named "At the first time" casting by Val Kilmer?
Thank you very much
KYTTIE

For the first time #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:03 am   For the first time

There may well be a film called that but here you must use FOR to make sense to me. There is an expression at first which means in the beginning.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
For the first time #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:58 am   For the first time

Dear Mr Alan
I don't understand your explaination yet. woud you explain for me diffirence between at and for?
Thank you very much.
Hoa

At/for #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:53 am   At/for

Hi Hoa,

This is a huge question to explain the difference between at and for since there are hundreds of uses of these two prepositions with hundreds of different expressions. You could have a look a piece I've written for the site under the heading esl lessons and it's called Prepositions and you can see the uses of some of the prepositions. The only way I could start to explain is to use at and for with particular words.

We say for example: for the first time (something has never been done before)

We can also say: at the first sign of a cold, take a hot drink. (As soon as you feel you have a cold, take a hot drink)

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Call a person and dial a number | Difference between firstly and primary
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What are the stages?English idiom: hard luckTransfer your allowanceWhat does to treat oneself mean?What is the difference between "make" and "do"?Difference between amends and attemptsDeclare vs. announceMeaning of gatheringWhat does "substitute" mean in this sentence?Going to + verbDefinition of sueLarge vs. bigWhat is the meaning of rug?