Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

group of judges; board; band; strip; crew; staff
deregulation
section
travel
panel
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

references or referees?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
might vs. would | Strange construction?
listening exercisestell a friend
references or referees? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 15, 2007 18:58 pm   references or referees?

Hello, everybody!

I am curious about the fact that in most cases when we compose CV we include the section called "references" and list there people who can comment on us. Does anybody know what is right: "references" or "referees"? I am not a native speaker of English and for me "referees" sounds more logical, but most people have the opposite opinion.

Thanks,
Dasha.
Daria
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

references or referees? #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 15, 2007 19:46 pm   references or referees?

Hi Dasha

A "referee" acts as a kind of judge. For example, referees preside over many sporting events. It is their job to make decisions about what is happening in the game.

On a CV or resume, you give a list of people who can tell a potential employer more about you. These people are your "references".

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
references or referees? #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 15, 2007 21:50 pm   references or referees?

Thank you very much, Yankee!
Now it is clear!
Daria
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

references or referees? #4 (permalink) Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:20 am   references or referees?

Hi,

Having no wish to rock the boat, I have to disagree here. To me 'references' are the written documents giving an insight into your character/ability and so on. 'Referees' are the actual names of people who are able to provide these 'references'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

references or referees? #5 (permalink) Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:27 pm   references or referees?

Hi Alan

Using the word 'referee' instead of 'reference' in the context of a resume/CV would sound distinctly odd to me.
In this context, the word 'reference' is standardly used for both a person and a statement in the US.
Apparently there is a difference between American English and British English.

From Webster's Dictionary:
reference
4 : one referred to or consulted: as a : a person to whom inquiries as to character or ability can be made b : a statement of the qualifications of a person seeking employment or appointment given by someone familiar with the person

From the American Heritage Dictionary:
reference
7a. A person who is in a position to recommend another or to vouch for his or her fitness, as for a job. b. A statement about a person's qualifications, character, and dependability.

(The Cambridge Dictionary notes this usage of 'referee' as a British usage, but also mentions the word 'reference' with this definition.)

From the Cambridge Dictionary:
referee (SUPPORTER) UK
noun [C] (ALSO reference)
a person who knows you and who is willing to describe and, usually, praise you, to support you when you are trying to get a job, etc:

references or referees? #6 (permalink) Tue Apr 17, 2007 13:44 pm   references or referees?

Hi, I agree with Amy. I intend to post the definition link from Cambridge: http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=66351&dict=CALD. But you've already done! ;-)
Cheers, Hieu.
Sunflower.baby
You can meet me at english-test.net

might vs. would | Strange construction?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is the diff. between these statements and when to use which?In the bottom vs. On the bottom[I was] or [I were]?Wrong tense and wrong subject?where is the subject of a sentence?May I ask for the meanings of these sentences please?What is the difference between a 'one-on-one' course and a 'one-to-one course'?to lose somebody somethingExpression: Old cheeseHow to speak 'take a day off' in a polite way?Why were and why not WasExpression: 'As he walked, water splashed on him uo to his knees.'meaning of "Better off doing smth"