whole; including every part; complete; full
concrete
entire
sophisticated
regular

Over vs. Completed vs. Finished

Grammar Quesion: This is the first time ... to London | What does 'the man that everyone loved to hate' mean here?
Over vs. Completed vs. Finished #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:37 am   Over vs. Completed vs. Finished

Hi All,

Could some one explain the difference between them, if possible, with an example for each?

EngLearner.
EngLearner

Over vs. Completed vs. Finished #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 27, 2007 13:34 pm   Over vs. Completed vs. Finished

Remember over can be used as a preposition of place, adverb and adjective. I would say that over and finished are the closest in meaning to each other. Completed implies the task is finished to the point of perfected. Finished does not imply the same, only that something has come to an end. In other words you could be finished but yet the task is not yet completed.

He completed the painting. He completed the pass. (Successfully carried out a task) My work here is completed.
I am finished with this nonsense. (Won't participate any longer) He finished at the top of his class. (Final position) The Bulls finished in last place in the NBA.
The concert is over. (Performance has ended)

Sometimes it is a just a matter of word collocation, which words are used together.
Any good dictionary will have more concise definitions
Worldtour

Location: Harbin, China

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Over vs. Completed vs. Finished #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 27, 2007 15:58 pm   Over vs. Completed vs. Finished

FYI, one of the meanings of to finish is to kill ;)

Articles - need explanation for attached examplesExpression: It's not that bad a placeSentence: she wore her evening dress, all her dresses, like sports clothesI like the way you look in them pants"tool" and "tooling"The meaning of "buy-off"Grammar: Put the bracketed verbs in the right tensethe usage of the verb wishIt is part of British 'understatement', that aside thoughLet's start vs Let's get startedCould anybody please help shed some light on this?a couple of english idiomsmeaning of "defending champions"