inflection; verbal 'time'
object
demand
hospital
tense

The meaning of "buy-off"

What does 'the man that everyone loved to hate' mean here? | "tool" and "tooling"
The meaning of "buy-off" #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 27, 2007 17:25 pm   The meaning of "buy-off"

Please help me to understand the following sentence:

Who will buy-off the productive maintenance?

Thank you in advance,

Nina
NinaZara

Location: Malaysia (Cat city)

The meaning of "buy-off" #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 27, 2007 17:32 pm   The meaning of "buy-off"

Usually the term "buy off" means that you use money to make a problem go away -- almost like a bribe. In business and at the work place, I've seen this term being used to simply mean to approve, to give the OK.
Diverhank

Location: California, USA

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
The meaning of "buy-off" #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 27, 2007 17:37 pm   The meaning of "buy-off"

Oh, thanks! I had to read the Japanese version given to me to understand it. I didn't know people use the term at the work place.Well now I do!

Thanks!

Nina
NinaZara

Location: Malaysia (Cat city)

What is the difference between "has the potential to be" and "..."The use of the oxygen mask" vs. "The use of an oxygen mask"Articles - need explanation for attached examplesExpression: It's not that bad a placeSentence: she wore her evening dress, all her dresses, like sports clothesI like the way you look in them pantsGrammar Quesion: This is the first time ... to LondonGrammar: Put the bracketed verbs in the right tensethe usage of the verb wishIt is part of British 'understatement', that aside thoughLet's start vs Let's get startedCould anybody please help shed some light on this?Over vs. Completed vs. Finished