historical records; archives; chronicles
prestige
annals
buffoon
antithesis

TOEFLŪ essay: Tradition vs latest fashion and which one do you prefer and why?

TOEFLŪ essay: The nation-state is an outmoded institution and should be... | TOEFLŪ Help: Steps for improve my writing
TOEFL essay: Tradition vs latest fashion and which one do you prefer and why? #1 (permalink) Wed May 09, 2007 20:56 pm   TOEFL essay: Tradition vs latest fashion and which one do you prefer and why?

Hi Alan,

Please review my essay and give me your opinion.Can you please also tell me how to prepare for the integrated writing task as im very poor in it.

Tradition VS latest fashion & which one do you prefer & why ?

We are born in a society and culture where tradition and fashion both play important roles in their respective fields. Each individual has their own views about tradition and culture. Tradition is our culture. The culture our ancestors and family adopt. tradition is basically culture. There are a few traditions which we follow like getting dressed properly,wearing neat clothes,respect to elders,nice decorated traditional home where we can feel at ease,and habits which are important in our culture. Tradition is one that is established by our ancestors and their ancestors and we follow them. When we follow our tradition we get a satisfaction that fills our heart with happiness. When we dress properly and behave properly with elders and our friends we get a good name and even our parents and family get a good name. In my country India wearing a sari is our tradition whereas for different countries there are different tradition pattens respectively.

Whereas fashion is just the opposite of tradition. Fashion is a term used mainly in this generation. It is mainly concerned with clothes and the way people get dressed up. Today the term fashion has changed a lot. Anything that we wear is fashion. The less the clothes the more fashionable it is. There are many fashion shows conducted by various designers to impress the people with the designs created by them. People who are impressed by them will start to wear those kind of clothes thus establishing a new fashion. Fashion is a thing which is established recently by the youngsters of this generation. Youngsters think that whatever they do is fashionable. They think that by not being respectful or by dressing skimpily or by misbehaving it is a new fashion. Youngsters including girls have started to smoke,drink and to use drugs just to be a part of their friends group to be fashionable. They start to imitate the actors and actresses seen on the movies and television and start some new trend and name it as fashion which will look silly. People who are against those new trends will not speak out loud as they think that if they express their opinion they will be seen as non fashionable person. Being fashionable will also give a bad name to their parents saying that the parents did not look after them properly thus getting a bad name to the family.

There are a few instances when both tradition and fashion are mixed together. Traditional clothes are made fashionable so that people can wear them comfortably in this fashion world without being uncomfortable between their friends. Traditional music is being mixed with western music or with jazz,etc calling it re-mix so that people will listen to them with more interest as the children of this generation feel that traditional music is dull and boring.

I prefer to be traditional because I ma from a traditional and it gives me satisfaction that I am not spoiling my name and my families name and that i am walking on a good path laid down by my country and my ancestors .I prefer to listen to traditional music which is calm and soothing to hear and relaxes my mind . I need not be fashionable just to be a part of this new generation and my friends accept me how I am .Being fashionable does not mean to disregard our tradition. Being traditional has also its advantages as discussed above.

Please let me know your opinion and wish me all thebest as saturday is my test.Thank you so much.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why are red crosses erected on Tanna Island?
Bubblysang

Location: Sunnyvale, california

TOEFL essay: Tradition vs latest fashion and which one do you prefer and why? #2 (permalink) Fri May 11, 2007 19:10 pm   TOEFL essay: Tradition vs latest fashion and which one do you prefer and why?

We are born in a society and culture where tradition and fashion both play important roles in their respective fields. Each individual has their own views about tradition and culture. Tradition is our culture. The culture our ancestors and family adopt IS A tradition AND is basically culture. There are a few traditions which we follow like getting dressed properly,wearing neat clothes,respect FOR elders,niceLY decorated traditional home where we can feel at ease,and habits which are important in our culture. Tradition is one that is established by our ancestors and their ancestors and we follow them. When we follow our tradition we get a satisfaction that fills our heart with happiness. When we dress properly and behave properly with elders and our friends, we get a good name and even our parents and family get a good name. In my country India wearing a sari is our tradition whereas for different countries there are different tradition patteRns respectively.

Whereas fashion is just the opposite of tradition. Fashion is a term used mainly in this generation. It is mainly concerned with clothes and the way people get dressed up. Today the term fashion has changed a lot. Anything that we wear is fashion. The less the clothes the more fashionable it is. There are many fashion shows conducted by various designers to impress the people with the designs created by them. People who are impressed by them will start to wear those kindS of clothes thus establishing a new fashion. Fashion is a thing which HAS BEEN established recently by the youngsters of this generation. Youngsters think that whatever they do is fashionable. They think that by not being respectful or by dressing skimpily or by misbehaving it is a new fashion. Youngsters including girls have started to smoke,drink and to use drugs just to be a part of their friends' group to be fashionable. They start to imitate the actors and actresses seen on the movies and television and start some new trend and name it as fashion, which will look silly. People who are against those new trends will not speak out loud as they think that if they express their opinion, they will be seen as UNfashionable person. Being fashionable will also give a bad name to their parents saying that the parents did not look after them properly thus getting a bad name FOR the family.

There are a few instances when both tradition and fashion are mixed together. Traditional clothes are made fashionable so that people can wear them comfortably in this fashion world without being uncomfortable AMONG their friends. Traditional music is being mixed with western music or with jazz,etc calling it re-mix so that people will listen to them with more interest as the children of this generation feel that traditional music is dull and boring.

I prefer to be traditional because I AM from a traditional BACKGROUND and it gives me satisfaction that I am not spoiling my name and my families' name and that I am walking on a good path laid down by my country and my ancestors .I prefer to listen to traditional music, which is calm and soothing to hear and relaxes my mind . I need not be fashionable just to be a part of this new generation and my friends accept me AS I am .Being fashionable does not mean WE HAVE to disregard our tradition. Being traditional ALSO has its advantages as discussed above.

This is good material. Don't worry and good luck

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemSign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
TOEFLŪ essay:Families with fewer children should be rewarded for helping to...Please help me! (additional TOEFLŪ score report)TOEFLŪ Essay: Universities should give th same amount of money both sports...TOEFLŪ Essay: Explain one event from your country's history and describe why...My TOEFLŪ is over!TOEFLŪ essay sample: The automobile has brought more harm than good to the planetTOEFLŪ essay sample: Television has had a mostly positive effect on societyTOEFLŪ essay sample: Some people wish to ban smoking in public placesTOEFLŪ essay: It is better for children to grow up in the countryside than...TOEFLŪ essay: In a family who should work? Wife or husband?TOEFLŪ Essay: The necessary skillsSome questions regarding writing an TOEFLŪ essay. Please, help me out!TOEFLŪ Essay Sample: Some students prefer to study alone.others prefer to study...