instructional booklet; handbook
unit
consumer
manual
return

What is the difference between good, fine, well and OK?

a litter of puppies | What does "bear" mean?
What is the difference between good, fine, well and OK? #1 (permalink) Sat May 19, 2007 9:35 am   What is the difference between good, fine, well and OK?

ESL/EFL Test #253 "Good, Well and Okay Test (1)", question 4

You look great! That new outfit looks ......... on you.

(a) good
(b) well
(c) okay

ESL/EFL Test #253 "Good, Well and Okay Test (1)", answer 4

You look great! That new outfit looks good on you.

Correct answer: (a) good
_________________________

hello,

i am a english student who just has few time in this quite beatiful language and i would like to know the difference about good,well,fine and o.k.please

aforehand thank you for the effort.
regards
Roger Gutierrez
Roger Gutierrez

What is the difference between good, fine, well and OK? #2 (permalink) Sat May 19, 2007 13:41 pm   What is the difference between good, fine, well and OK?

.
'Looks' here is a linking verb, so an adjective is needed; therefore 'well' cannot be used ('well' as an adverb and 'good' as an adjective have the same meaning in terms of excellence). 'OK' here is what we call faint praise-- it means 'not bad', 'so-so', or 'a little bit good'. Since the previous sentence says 'You look great!', 'OK' is not strong enough praise, so it is also inappropriate here.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between good, fine, well and OK? #3 (permalink) Sat May 19, 2007 15:17 pm   What is the difference between good, fine, well and OK?

Just to add to the aforementioned reply. It's a great idea to learn the definitions of a noun, verb, adverb, adjective etc, so you are better equiped at picking the meanings of words. These are the a basic of language.
Magickster

Location: Brisbane, Australia

What is the difference between good, fine, well and OK? #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 12, 2013 21:43 pm   What is the difference between good, fine, well and OK?

Many thanks Mister Micawber for the clear explanation. I didn't know till now that after a linking verb we have to use an adjective. If in the sentence I would say : This new dress fit well on you. I could use "well" adverb because "fit " isn't a linking verb.
_________________

send a phone number by snail mail having written it on the handed piece of paperDavid withheld information during the criminal investigationto travel light -- to travel without much luggagehow he would stick it outhis cows broke into the grain binCan you hold a moment?I couldn't care less.I know it's hard, but you have to stick with itMeaning of "you can count on me"What does household mean?How to pronounce 'one'?difference between dither and distractwhy should be fly instead of flow?