Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to send off quickly; to dismiss; to conclude with speed and efficiency; to eliminate
dispatch
appear
advise
number
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Push herself into VERSUS push itself into | Comparision is a non-countable noun, why it had "a" before it?
listening exercisestell a friend
What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'? #1 (permalink) Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 am   What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #40 "Reflexive Pronouns", question 6

He had watched birds fly by throwing ......... into the air.

(a) yourselves
(b) themselves
(c) ourselves

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #40 "Reflexive Pronouns", answer 6

He had watched birds fly by throwing themselves into the air.

Correct answer: (b) themselves

what does 'themselves' point ? Is that 'birds'?

Thanks.
Boddy
Boddy

What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'? #2 (permalink) Mon May 21, 2007 11:05 am   What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'?

Yes

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'? #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 19, 2009 13:31 pm   What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'?

He threw the birds into the air?
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'? #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 19, 2009 14:30 pm   What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'?

No, the pronoun is reflexive. Please study that grammar word.

What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'? #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 19, 2009 15:07 pm   What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'?

''He had watched birds fly by throwing themselves into the air.''Please write this sentence in other, equivalent words for my better understanding.
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'? #6 (permalink) Thu Mar 19, 2009 15:09 pm   What does 'themselves' point? Is that 'birds'?

Did you study REFLEXIVE PRONOUNS?

Push herself into VERSUS push itself into | Comparision is a non-countable noun, why it had "a" before it?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Sentence: This term refers to subjects that are of importance...meaning of "bring over"Difference between "delivery person" and "mail carrier"'Brought' and 'bought' would not be correctwhat is tradesmen?Where did buck naked originate?Incidentally means 'by the way'?I saw him leave the house. vs I saw him leaving the house.What is Chris in fact?Expression "share the bill"What does mocha mean?'He goes to English classes' vs 'He goes for English classes'Why we use "-ing" form (cleaning) after the word "to"?