to accept; to belief; to hug; to hold tight
prepare
disappear
embrace
freight

meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork"

Clear vs. clearly | General alarm vs. false alarm
meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork" #1 (permalink) Mon May 21, 2007 11:08 am   meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork"

ESL/EFL Test #45 "Basic English Expressions", question 2

Valerie spilled water ......... my paperwork.

(a) in
(b) on
(c) at
(d) across

ESL/EFL Test #45 "Basic English Expressions", answer 2

Valerie spilled water on my paperwork.

Correct answer: (b) on
_________________________

What does the whole sentence mean?

Boddy
Boddy

meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork" #2 (permalink) Mon May 21, 2007 11:24 am   meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork"

Valerie spilled water on my paperwork.

The sentence means that Valerie poured water out of a container (by mistake) on the piece(s) of paper I was working on.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork" #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 25, 2010 16:44 pm   meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork"

why not usa "in" in this case?
Gino12

meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork" #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 25, 2010 16:50 pm   meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork"

Because there is no 'inside' to a sheet of paper. Although the paper will eventually absorb the water, it does not go into the paper the way it can be poured into a cup, jug, vase, box, etc. It goes on (the surface of) the paper.
_________________

Herd the animals?What does 'rake' mean?Where should I go to ask for some ADVICE? :)Why the opposite meaning of sour is sweet and why not salty or bitter?Spill the beans?Will tree?Fleeing the countryIs she bringing you down?meaning of cigarette paperWhat are conference arrangements?Difference between game and sportIsn't SO missing between OUT and SHE?What is the difference between less, lesser and lessen?