contrast
engagement
innocent
break
compare

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

"on me" or "with me" | contrasted comparatives
How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #16 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 22:10 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Twue, twue.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #17 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 7:02 am   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi, prezbucky

prezbucky wrote:
- bootylicious
- Fergilicious (lol)

Do you think a woman will get you when you say that to her? (I failed to find those words in my dicktionary :) (although I can guess the meaning of the first one))

BTW, what about you're infackincredible? Will it work as a compliment?

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #18 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 7:29 am   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi lost_soul,

You asked:

I highly doubt that HM Queen Elizabeth II would say that.

All the best

EU
Englishuser

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #19 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 7:57 am   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Not everything said or uttered in this sceptered isle has to receive royal approval. Thank goodness!

_________________

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #20 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 13:24 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

lost_soul wrote:
Do you think a woman will get you when you say that to her?

Many will understand the meaning (in the US, anyway), but they won't necessarily understand it as a compliment. If you walked up to a woman you didn't know or didn't know well and said that, you would run the risk that the woman might call the police. (i.e. she might understand it as a threat.) If you said that to a woman you know well, she might not understand it as a compliment at all, but rather simply a case of overheated male hormones. 8)

lost_soul wrote:
It might, but only in an informal context in the US and even then it may not be accepted. The use of the "F-word" seems to be more "accepted" in some areas of the US than in others. For example, I lived and worked in the immediate New York City area for a few years. One of the things I remember noticing was that people there tended to use the F-word much more frequently than what I had ever heard where I grew up (the Philadelphia area). And they used it much more frequently than in any of the other areas I have lived in (southern New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Michigan, "Upstate" New York). In fact, my impression of the NYC area was that in everyday speech the F-word is used practically every third word. That is an exaggeration, of course, but it was nevertheless the impression I got. It was something I really didn't like having to hear.

By the way, did you intentionally spell your word incorrectly (with 'a' instead of 'u')?
_________________

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #21 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 13:29 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi, Yankee

Of course intentionally. They elaborated a cool filter here which changes any occurence of f-word to "you have tried to use a swear word" :)

(BTW, is it correct and natural to use the word elaborate in that context ?)

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #22 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 13:58 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi LS

No, that "E-word" doesn't work in the context. :D

You might say that in my last post, I elaborated a bit on my comment to Prezbucky that his last list of words were "very male". When you elaborate on something, you add more details about something that has already been said.

I'm pretty sure the "cool filter" is something that came preprogrammed in the forum software. I guess at least part of the reason for such a list of censored words is to reduce the amount of pornographic spam that might otherwise end up here.
_________________

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #23 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 14:03 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

lost_soul
Nobody uses "Fergilicious" outside of the song by Fergie -- that one was in jest. I have on occasion heard "bootylicious", though I've never actually said it myself.

Ahhh, here's another one:

- Tight (and not what you might think it means -- the urban-slang use is fairly honorable)
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #24 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 14:20 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi Tom

That's a new one for me. Would you say using the word 'tight' that way is a fairly recent development?
_________________

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #25 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 14:39 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi, Amy

I found many definitions in the Urban Dictionary
If you care, you might take a look at this : http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tight

I bet Tom meant this one: A person or a thing that looks good, acts cool, is cool or is stylish

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #26 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 15:59 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi LS

Yes, I'm sure he did. I asked whether he thought that usage was fairly recent because I had been living in Germany until a few months ago, which made it more difficult to keep up with "new" slang.

By the way, you might be interested in this:

:lol:

Sorry for the off-topic post, Maggie.
_________________

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #27 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 17:05 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi Amy,

Thanks a lot for posting this hilarious article, it's really great. However, I wonder why the title of the article is "Germans not amused". Shouldn't it read "Austrians not amused"?

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture on American social history

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #28 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 17:29 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

.
I wondered the very same thing, Torsten. The only explanation I could come up with is that "Austrians" wouldn't have fit in the headline (unless they reduced the size of the typeface). Maybe the editors decided that "Germans" was OK since Austrians also speak German. :lol:

Or maybe the headline is just a reference to the sentence in the article that states that German visitors aren't interested in the sign.
.
_________________

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #29 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 17:42 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

That's a good explanation, Amy. "Germans not amused" is easier to read and because the word "Germans" consists of only two syllables whereas "Austrians" consists of three. Also, it's usually the Germans who are not amused, I think Austrians are more laid back and relaxed so maybe it's indeed the Germans who are not amused about the Brits...

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention Cygnus X-1?

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #30 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2007 17:57 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

.
Yes, that's also possible. There may have been some stereotyping going on in the headline.
.
_________________

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What does 'was to be' mean? (Aglaya's husband was to be a compendium...)Expression: "Are they them?"Dubious (which is; which was; which has been)the study of the systems in which words are organized to make sentences?Expression: "go one better"what is the difference in use between 'incredible' and 'incredibly'?Could you make out the words, pleasesmiled "at" somebody or smiled "in" somebody?Expression: is being usedWhat fingers?Scoring at homemeaning of "cross-purposes"no one was aware of where she had gone?