Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

conformity; agreement; coordination; suitability
notebook
accordance
wrench
seminar
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
"on me" or "with me" | contrasted comparatives
listening exercisestell a friend
How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #1 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 3:02 am   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi,guys

I am wondering how you praise girl who is very beautiful. Here I write down I know.

1.You are very beautiful.
2.You are a good-looking girl.

Could you give me others?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Greetings!

Maggie :o
I'm here quite often ;-)

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #2 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 4:01 am   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

I think there are hundreds of thousands, Maggie, which are not yet enough to describe the beauty of girls or women for men, :) you know, such as: charming, etc. in the direct way of admiring. There are also, however, many indirect ways for such purpose, which I think are much easier to say and more effective under a practical situation.

BTW, you wouldn't use them, would you? :)

Haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #3 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 6:34 am   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

here is a few I know of :
you're cute, cuddly, pretty
You have looks
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #4 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 12:02 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Here are a few more adjectives that can describe beautiful women:
    - gorgeous
    - stunning
    - ravishing
    - dazzling
    - bewitching
    - fetching
    - etc. etc.
Conchita
Language Coach

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #5 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 12:39 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

How about: She's a stunner!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #6 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 15:01 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Maybe the most popular ways (that I've noticed here in the US, anyway) to tell a woman that she's attractive are these:

You are:

- Beautiful
- Pretty
- Cute
- Hot
- Fine

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #7 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 20:13 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi prezbucky,

Quote:
Maybe the most popular ways (that I've noticed here in the US, anyway) to tell a woman that she's attractive are these:

You are: Fine

Really? Sounds a bit lame to me...

All the best

EU
Englishuser
I'm here quite often ;-)

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #8 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 20:21 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

That's most likely because of your focus on British English, EU.
For example, Americans don't usually refer to beautiful women as 'fetching' (though I also wouldn't rule it out completely). While I know that 'fetching' can mean 'beautiful', the word 'fetch' also has a very strong association with dogs in American English. (It's what you tell you dog to do when you throw something.) And if you say a woman is a real dog, then you're saying she's incredibly ugly. :lol:

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #9 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 20:34 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi,

I hope I am not getting all too sidetracked here but what about calling someone 'slender'?

All the best

EU
Englishuser
I'm here quite often ;-)

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #10 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 20:38 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Someone who is 'slender' wouldn't necessarily also be thought of as beautiful or pretty.
Is that what you're asking, EU?

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #11 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 20:42 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Hi Amy,

You asked:

Quote:
Someone who is 'slender' wouldn't necessarily also be thought of as beautiful or pretty.
Is that what you're asking, EU?

No, that isn't what I would like to know. Rather, I would be interested in whether it is considered polite to refer to someone as 'slender' in the US. This is why I said:

Quote:
I hope I am not getting all too sidetracked here

All the best

EU
Englishuser
I'm here quite often ;-)

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #12 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 21:09 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Well, that would depend on the context, in my opinion. In and of itself, there's nothing impolite about saying that someone is slender.

However, if you said "You are slender" directly to a woman and that were all you said, she might interpret that as a euphemism for something else: "You're nothing but skin and bones" or "You're not fat, but you're not attractive either", for example.

If you described a woman as 'slender' to a third person, and that were the full extent of your description, I think the other person would also assume that they needed to read between the lines.

Just my two cents.

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #13 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 21:48 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

EU

Yeah, "fine" is acceptable here... if a bit silly.

Other things to call an attractive female:
- stacked (rap influence)
- luscious
- scrumptious
- deeee-licious (the "e" here is exaggerated)
- mighty fine
- bootylicious
- Fergilicious (lol)

hehe

Those are very slangy.

Amy, thanks for sticking up for "fine".

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #14 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 21:51 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

Oh, and Amy, thanks.

Getting back to the "fetching/dog" analogy:

I remember watching high school volleyball games as a freshman/sophomore in high school. Whenever we (Lakeland Thunderbirds, or T-Birds) played the Northland Pines Eagles (the school in Eagle River -- see Hot Shots Part Deux... Minocqua is also mentioned), we'd chant "Eagles look like beagles. Arf arf arf."

kids can be mean. In our defense, we didn't really mean it -- their mascot, and the rivalry, sort of came together to form the jeer/cheer. But I think they (NPHS players) understood the joking cheer.

How do you praise girl who is very beautiful? #15 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 22:02 pm   How do you praise girl who is very beautiful?

prezbucky wrote:
EU Those are very slangy.
And extremely male. 8)

"on me" or "with me" | contrasted comparatives
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Latest topics on English Forums
What does 'was to be' mean? (Aglaya's husband was to be a compendium...)Expression: "Are they them?"Dubious (which is; which was; which has been)the study of the systems in which words are organized to make sentences?Expression: "go one better"what is the difference in use between 'incredible' and 'incredibly'?Could you make out the words, pleasesmiled "at" somebody or smiled "in" somebody?Expression: is being usedWhat fingers?Scoring at homemeaning of "cross-purposes"no one was aware of where she had gone?