Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

eject; drive out; banish
illustrate
expel
collaborate
protect
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Other vs. others | What is the difference between herb and grass?
listening exercisestell a friend
When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe? #1 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 13:46 pm   When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Anything, nothing, something, everything", question 9

My friend's decisions have ......... to do with me.

(a) nothing
(b) anything
(c) someone
(d) any

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Anything, nothing, something, everything", answer 9

My friend's decisions have nothing to do with me.

Correct answer: (a) nothing

Your answer was: correct

It's means "It is" i read

In this example,

Friend's means Friends / Friend is

when we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe.. ?

I appreciate your time and effort for making me Learn English...

Vara
Vara

When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe? #2 (permalink) Tue May 29, 2007 14:52 pm   When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe?

In this case, "friend's" is not a contraction. It is the possessive form of "friend".

The phrase "My friend's decisions" literally means "The decisions of my friend".

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe? #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 18:17 pm   When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe?

My friend's decisions have nothing to do with me.= My friend's decisions have nothing common with me???
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe? #4 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:47 am   When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe?

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

47 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Saneta

If someone or something has nothing to do with somebody or something, they are not in any way connected or involved in it:
My friend's decisions have nothing to do with me (I'm not the one responsible for my friend's decisions but HE is).
I don't want to have anything to do with it (I don't want to get involved in it or be any part of it).

To have something in common means to share the same qualities or features as someone else:
What we both have in common is that we are both learning English!

All the best
Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe? #5 (permalink) Sun Dec 20, 2009 21:49 pm   When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe?

I think I should correct the second example:
What we have in common is that we are both learning English. (using 'both' twice sounds redundant)
;)
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe? #6 (permalink) Mon Jul 12, 2010 18:13 pm   When we refer plural friends where we have to put apostrophe?

Dear Torsten,
Why cannot use 'anything' in this test?
With regard
Mitra

Other vs. others | What is the difference between herb and grass?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Expression "As clean as a whistle"What is the difference between 'assembly' and 'assembling'?Need help to understand this sentence properlyfood is called a(n) artificial sweetener.Do you walk or take the bus to work?give me a sentences with be to blameTeaching TAKE AFTERYou could not translate that new word into another languageThe identity of English, which were represented at the Titanic?Do you mind if I open the window?meaning of lavatorywhat does sight mean?where is the error!