to fork; to divide into parts or sections
afford
should
appropriate
branch

Can I use the expression 'look through' with the adverb 'carefully'?

Why did you use furture perfect tense here? | Don't shift the blame on your brother!
Can I use the expression 'look through' with the adverb 'carefully'? #1 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 4:47 am   Can I use the expression 'look through' with the adverb 'carefully'?

ESL/EFL Test #70 "What the Devil", question 9

You should really look through that agreement carefully before you sign because the devil is in the ..........

(a) detail
(b) exact
(c) finery
(d) precise

ESL/EFL Test #70 "What the Devil", answer 9

You should really look through that agreement carefully before you sign because the devil is in the detail.

Correct answer: (a) detail
_________________________

Can I use the expression "look through" with the adverb "carefully"? I mean, they have opposite senses, once "To look through something" is "to read something quickly", right?

Leonhardt
Leonhardt

Can I use the expression 'look through' with the adverb 'carefully'? #2 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am   Can I use the expression 'look through' with the adverb 'carefully'?

.
Not in my book. 'Looking through' something can be done carefully or quickly-- or perfunctorily, lazily, meticuloiusly, etc. 'Through' means 'completely, from end to end'.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
If we use 'at the moment' in here, does it mean 'right now'?meaning of 'form of aerobic activity for a cardiovascular workout'Weave wool and spin yarn?what does apart mean?elsewhere vs somewheremeaning of competitivemeaning of shotsmeaning of valuablenearby vs nearWhy ton? (Expression: I have a ton of homework)What is the difference between present perfect and past perfect?When do we use "do" and when "make"?meaning of set