statement; proclamation; announcement
level
declaration
sink
check

Using 'yet' correctly (and other grammar questions)...

How to use the prepositions 'in' and 'on' in this case? | Do you see the difference?
Using 'yet' correctly (and other grammar questions)... #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:58 am   Using 'yet' correctly (and other grammar questions)...

Hello!

Which of the sentences below is/are more correct?.

1.) A.) Did you call him?
B.) Did you call him yet?
C.) Have you called him?
D.) Have you called him yet?

What is the difference between A and B? B and D?
Sylphidae

Using 'yet' correctly (and other grammar questions)... #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:03 am   Using 'yet' correctly (and other grammar questions)...

sylphidae wrote:
Hello!

1.) A.) Did you call him?
B.) Did you call him yet?
C.) Have you called him?
D.) Have you called him yet?

All four sentences are grammatically correct.
Did you call him? is a general question asking whether or not a phone call has been made.

Did you call him yet? might imply that the phone call is rather urgent. Have you called him is a general question in present perfect which is more often used in British English than in American English.

Have you called him yet? is a question in present perfect too, implying the phone call might be urgent.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Social History (2)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Sentence correctionCorrection: ...Canada has one of the lowest population density in the worldAgree to vs. agree onSomething to grow into?What does the word 'spurt' in this Jethro Tull song mean?Putting someone on the couch and other expressions...What does 'to cuss' mean?Picked her up...What does this idiom mean: 'to blow in'?What does this phrase mean: "What gives"?meaning of "It's such a drag"What does to 'chip in' mean?Punctuation marks (:;."-/')