Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

imaginary; hypothetical; computer simulated
virtual
viable
prepaid
vital
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does "likewise" mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
closing vs. stopping a meeting | When to use annouce in stead of said?
listening exercisestell a friend
What does "likewise" mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:44 pm   What does "likewise" mean?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Common English Errors (3)", question 10

The world needs to depend on other energy sources, ......... oil and other natural resources.

(a) beside
(b) likewise
(c) besides
(d) also beside

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Common English Errors (3)", answer 10

The world needs to depend on other energy sources, besides oil and other natural resources.

Correct answer: (c) besides

Your answer was: incorrect
The world needs to depend on other energy sources, likewise oil and other natural resources.

why not likewise?

thanks
Ingolf
Ingolf

What does "likewise" mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:27 am   What does "likewise" mean?

'Likewise' is an adverb, and therefore either modifies a verb (here, 'needs to depend')-- which it does not do here-- or begins a clause, which it also does not do here.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does "likewise" mean? #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 11, 2008 19:45 pm   What does "likewise" mean?

What's the difference between beside and besides? When do we one or another?
Marko
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does "likewise" mean? #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 11, 2008 23:01 pm   What does "likewise" mean?

Beside is a preposition meaning 'next to': I'm sitting beside the fire.
Besides is an adverb meaning also': I don't want to watch this movie, and besides I'm tired.

What does "likewise" mean? #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 06, 2013 18:52 pm   What does "likewise" mean?

Usual mistake twice.
http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ei087/esl-test.php
The world needs to depend on other energy sources ......... oil and other non-renewable resources.

x(a) beside
(b) likewise
(c) besides
(d) also beside
After sending the beside changed besides so the test can be NEVER 10/10

What does "likewise" mean? #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 06, 2013 21:44 pm   What does "likewise" mean?

I entered the trap!!! This was skilful.In my second test I wrote besides it was corrected "beside" I was so idiot that I believed, and I wrote "beside" consistently. Now the penny dropped, and I realized that who first corrected my correct answer HE/SHE MADE A FOOL OF ME.

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT I STRUGGLE ON WITH ENGLISH-TEST-NET.

GOOD-BY PLEASE DELETE MY NAME FROM THE LIST.

REGARDS:
KATI SVABY

P.S: WHO CAUGHT UP WITH ME NOW HE /SHE CAN BE HAPPY BECAUSE THIS PERSON ACHIEVED HIS AIM. i AM VERY SORRY BUT I'VE GETTING TIRED. EVEN FOR A YOUNG THIS WOULD BE EXHAUSTING,HUMILIATING TO SAY NOTHING OF A PERSON OVER 72.

closing vs. stopping a meeting | When to use annouce in stead of said?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
how he would stick it outhis cows broke into the grain binCan you hold a moment?I couldn't care less.a little vs. a bitpreposition at/on/in in the example How I got that jobMeaning of "you can count on me"When I get the wrong answer I want you show, and when I choose the right answerdifference between leave and departHow to pronounce 'one'?Meaning of "we mustn't leave it so long next time"Is "WAS" an intransitive verb here?Meaning of "let's shake on that"