to give confidence; to promise; to pledge; to encourage
take
retire
assure
benefit

some question about usage of rather in a sentence

move into or move to the black economy | Methods to memorize new words (select a dictionary)?
some question about usage of rather in a sentence #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 19, 2007 14:18 pm   some question about usage of rather in a sentence

Hi,everyone..

what's the difference between "rather "and "prefer "in a sentence ? How is "rather" used in a sentence ? Could you give me some everyday sentence about this word? best regards..

Yesterday love was such an easy game to play...( a song .. :P )
Prettygirl

Location: TURKEY

some question about usage of rather in a sentence #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 19, 2007 15:24 pm   some question about usage of rather in a sentence

For stating preferences, "rather" is an adverb used with "would", and usually later with "than", if you state two choices.

"I would rather have regular coffee than Turkish coffee."
"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

"Would you like coffee?"
"No thank you. I would rather have Coke."

"Would you like to play with us?"
"No, thanks. I would rather watch."

The word "prefer" is a verb on its own, and we don't have to use "would" with it. It is followed by a direct object, an infinitive, or a prepositional phrase, usually with "to".

"I prefer regular coffee to Turkish coffee."
"I prefer cartoons to soap operas."

"Would you like coffee?"
"No thank you. I (would) prefer Coke."

"Would you like to play with us?"
"No, thanks. I prefer to watch."

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
some question about usage of rather in a sentence #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:45 am   some question about usage of rather in a sentence

thanks for your help.sir..Thank you for getting back to me in a short time.
ı remember learning a phrase "ı 'd rather you didn't. " but ı don't remember what to use .ıwiil be glad if you give me some everyday sentence.May it be related to asking permission? regards..
Prettygirl

Location: TURKEY

some question about usage of rather in a sentence #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 am   some question about usage of rather in a sentence

Do you mind if I smoke?
I'd rather you didn't.

I'd rather you didn't say that in front of Mr. Sneezer. He's very sensitive.
or
I'd rather you not say that in front of Mr. Sneezer. He's very sensitive.

I need your help! (Match a sentence from A with a sentence from B according...)Shall vs Should, Can vs Could and Will vs WouldPhrase: Lovers live by love like larks live by leeksProverb: One swallow doesn't make a summerUse relative pronoun: which (or who) and thatExpression: "in a charge of rapid orange flashes"Expression 'jabbing away at'hand over a message or give him a messageExpression: self-service and Word: cashiera friend of mine or my friend?Expression "A contradiction still"making out the wordsMeaning of "Not to be a jerk"