Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

verification of a person or thing; recognition
consumer
identification
metropolitan
ingredient
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Proveb: People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stone

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
I need to practice the present perfect tense, How could you help me? | article for 'credit crisis'
listening exercisestell a friend
Proveb: People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stone #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:50 am   Proveb: People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stone

Hi teachers,

I know when we throw stone on glass, the glass will break.
But what does the above proveb exactly imply/mean?

Thanks in advance

Jupiter
Jupiter
I'm here quite often ;-)

Proveb: People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stone #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 am   Proveb: People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stone

Hi Jupiter,
The proverb means that you shouldn't insult, hurt, reprimand, criticize other people as they can do the same thing in return.

A.Look at what time it is... you are late again!"
B. "Hey, how often are you not on time? People who live in glass houses should not throw stones."
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Proveb: People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stone #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:08 am   Proveb: People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stone

Just some variations (not strictly synonymic though):

The pot calling the kettle black.
It takes one to know one.
It takes a thief to catch a thief.

Even more unstrictly:

Six of one and half a dozen of the other.
It's as broad as its long.

Haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

gun #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 05, 2008 22:01 pm   gun

Another variation i like:

Don't carry a gun if you're not willing to get shot.
Saturn

I need to practice the present perfect tense, How could you help me? | article for 'credit crisis'
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Capacitance changes as voltage changes. vs Capacitance changes with voltage.information of the structure "is used to"Plural of VersusUsage of whichever, however, no matter how, whateverdifference between burglerer and thiefArgument about the word dwindleDifferences between 'with a view to' and 'in view of'One vs He; He or She or Wegrammatical form "to except for"Should I keep on saying "Our Painter has painted excellently"turn dreams into "reality" or "realities"?"many" vs "much more"all vs all of