lawyer; barrister; advocate; solicitor
benefit
attorney
range
description

Expression "pointless to try to make"

meaning of 'Hot foot' | When we use the helping verb 'do', we need the base from of verb
Expression "pointless to try to make" #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 13, 2007 15:22 pm   Expression "pointless to try to make"

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #5 "Talk about it later", question 4

I'm quite decided on what action I'm going to take so it's pointless trying to make me adapt my mind.

(a) decided on
(b) going to
(c) trying to
(d) adapt

ESL/EFL Test #5 "Talk about it later", answer 4

I'm quite decided on what action I'm going to take so it's pointless trying to make me change my mind.

Correct entry: change
The error was: (d) adapt

You have not found the error.
I'm quite decided on what action I'm going to take so it's pointless to try to make me adapt my mind.
_________________________

can you explain me? why can't i answer "pointless to try to make" because pointless is adjective?

Avelone
Avelone

Expression "pointless to try to make" #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 13, 2007 19:46 pm   Expression "pointless to try to make"

Hi, Avelone

First I'd like to correct you a little bit
can you explain to me. why can't i answer "pointless to try to make" because pointless is an adjective

Yes, pointless is an adjective in that sentence

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Expression "pointless to try to make" #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 13, 2007 19:57 pm   Expression "pointless to try to make"

Hi Avelone

You can also say "pointless to try to" in that sentence. Saying "pointless trying to" is not wrong, so that is not the error in the sentence.

The error in usage is "adapt". The correct answer is 'change'.
_________________

Expression "pointless to try to make" #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 13, 2007 20:51 pm   Expression "pointless to try to make"

Hi, Yankee

Does the usage of "trying" in this case suggest some kind of "continuousness" of the action
(as opposed to to try which suggests a single action, one attempt)?

Expression "pointless to try to make" #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 13, 2007 21:02 pm   Expression "pointless to try to make"

Hi LS

I'd say that would be a reasonable way to describe the difference. :D
.
_________________

What is the difference between sink and drop?Could you distinguish 2 verbs 'remark' and 'notice'?What does "freezer" mean?Use of preposition: "across the street"What is the differences among 'point', 'benefit', and 'profit'?Why is the Pacific Rim considered to be growing and productive?What's the difference between 'to make an error' and 'to make a mistake'?amendment vs. conventionmeaning of inventorymeaning of 'to be out of my mind''attend me carefully' vs 'listen to me carefully'concatenations vs concentrationsWhat does "stylish" mean?