to claim; to require; to request strongly
slander
rank
demand
broadcast

Expression: Box your ears

Short form of "fire extinguisher"? | How do you pronounce "psycho"?
Expression: Box your ears #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 15, 2007 18:32 pm   Expression: Box your ears

What does "box your ears" really mean? I used to think it as just hitting or punching someone, but not on the ears. Why the ears? I always wonder about it although I've been using the expression since kindergarten. It's one of my favourite.

And what does "Don't put a box around your ears" mean? I came across it while yahooing for "box your ears".

Thank you in advance.

Nina
NinaZara

Location: Malaysia (Cat city)

Expression: Box your ears #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 15, 2007 18:59 pm   Expression: Box your ears

It's used usually as a threat that will never actually take place because obviously boxing (hitting ) someone on the ears is very dangerous. It's often used in a playful sense as: If you do that again, I'll box your ears (I'll hit you)

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: Box your ears #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 15, 2007 19:06 pm   Expression: Box your ears

So that is the reason. I always thought hitting any part of the head is dangerous.

Thanks!
NinaZara

Location: Malaysia (Cat city)

Expression "This behind their hands"What the phrase 'unhappy glance' mean?to use of expectHow old is she and what's the point of this phrase?Phrasal Verbs in formal writing?'Stick to' vs 'Stick by'the usage of the verb requireUse of can "arranging a meet"Use of the phrase "Idea being"What's the difference between interested in seeing and interested to see?Dim lights?Exclamation: "Gross"Expression: 'tea leaves at the bottom of your cup'