Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to claim; to require; to request strongly
slander
rank
demand
broadcast
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: Box your ears

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Short form of "fire extinguisher"? | How do you pronounce "psycho"?
listening exercisestell a friend
Expression: Box your ears #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 15, 2007 18:32 pm   Expression: Box your ears

Hello,

What does "box your ears" really mean? I used to think it as just hitting or punching someone, but not on the ears. Why the ears? I always wonder about it although I've been using the expression since kindergarten. It's one of my favourite.

And what does "Don't put a box around your ears" mean? I came across it while yahooing for "box your ears".

Thank you in advance.

Nina
NinaZara
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: Box your ears #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 15, 2007 18:59 pm   Expression: Box your ears

Hi,

It's used usually as a threat that will never actually take place because obviously boxing (hitting ) someone on the ears is very dangerous. It's often used in a playful sense as: If you do that again, I'll box your ears (I'll hit you)

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: Box your ears #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 15, 2007 19:06 pm   Expression: Box your ears

So that is the reason. I always thought hitting any part of the head is dangerous.

Thanks!
NinaZara
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Short form of "fire extinguisher"? | How do you pronounce "psycho"?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Expression "This behind their hands"What the phrase 'unhappy glance' mean?to use of expectHow old is she and what's the point of this phrase?Phrasal Verbs in formal writing?'Stick to' vs 'Stick by'the usage of the verb requireUse of can "arranging a meet"Use of the phrase "Idea being"What's the difference between interested in seeing and interested to see?Dim lights?Exclamation: "Gross"Expression: 'tea leaves at the bottom of your cup'