existent; in attendance; on hand; of the current times; pertaining to the current times
capable
reverse
appealing
present

fitted vs fit

What is the difference between "the sell by date" and "the sell th | What is "set the world on fire"?
fitted vs fit #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:39 am   fitted vs fit

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #105 "Synonyms for adapt", question 10

I like those shoes so much, I wish they ......... me.

(a) harmonized
(b) fitted
(c) accommodated
(d) corresponded

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #105 "Synonyms for adapt", answer 10

I like those shoes so much, I wish they fitted me.

Correct answer: (b) fitted

I like those shoes so much, I wish they accommodated me.
_________________________

I thought fitted in this sense would be incorrect. I thought fit me would sound better. I realize clothing can be fitted by a tailor. I didn't think shoes were able to make themselves fit someone.

Lavsan
Lavsan

fitted vs fit #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:20 pm   fitted vs fit

No, unfortunatelly you're wrong. By using the Past Simple we express an unreal (probably) but desired situation here. Those shoes probably dont fit him, but he wishes they did.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
fitted vs fit #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 19, 2007 14:38 pm   fitted vs fit

.
Both fit and fitted are used standardly as past forms of the verb 'fit'.

Where I'm from, 'fit' would generally be used as the simple past tense when the meaning is that something was the right size:
Those boots fit my son last year. I wonder if they will still fit him this winter.

The word 'fitted' would generally be used as the past tense and the past participle in a passive sense -- i.e. when the meaning is that something was adapted or was made to fit. For example, you might be fitted for a new suit or a car might be fitted with a new stereo system.

So, 'fitted' sounds quite odd to me in the test sentence -- for exactly the reason you gave, Lavsan.

I'm not sure whether this is also the usage tendency in the UK.
.
_________________

fitted vs fit #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 19, 2007 14:43 pm   fitted vs fit

Hi, Yankee

I didnt know that fit might be conjugated as an irregular verb. In my dictionary there's no note about it. Cool :)

fitted vs fit #5 (permalink) Thu Jul 19, 2007 14:54 pm   fitted vs fit

Hi LS

You'll find both past forms in Webster's Dictionary, for example. :D
.
_________________

Which is correct in this instance... #6 (permalink) Wed Jan 27, 2010 20:42 pm   Which is correct in this instance...

Can anyone help me out with this...Which would be correct?

Merrick Marius fitted a bolt into the small crossbow and then slipped the weapon beneath the folds of his cloak.

Merrick Marius fit a bolt into the small crossbow and then slipped the weapon beneath the folds of his cloak.
Rsullivan9597

fitted vs fit #7 (permalink) Thu Jan 28, 2010 16:33 pm   fitted vs fit

Rsullivan,

You've come across an interesting phenomenon in English: Fit has developed multiple meanings and depending on which meaning is being used, the conjugation changes.

Fit (meaning to be the right size, or to fill something out properly) has the conjugation fit - fit -fit.

Thus: These pants fit me well (present). These pant fit me well last week (past). He had fit those pants before his diet (perfect).

Fit (meaning to make something fit, or to put something in a proper position) has the conjugation fit - fitted - fitted/fit.

Thus: Marcus fits a bolt into the crossbow (present). Marcus fitted a bolt (past). Marcus has fitted a bolt (or Marcus has fit a bolt) into the crossbow (perfect).
_________________
There's no such thing as an exception to the rule...

My blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
OxfordBlues

Meaning of 'Throw in one's lot with'Difference between occupy, gorge, blow, stuffClear communication limits trade discrepancies.Tag for 'I am not your friend'Why thin instead of slim?Meaning of souvenirsDifference among scare, scary, frighten, frightening, frightened'hen house' vs 'doldrums'Meaning of "secondhand stores"Verb to have should be followed by past participle...difference between rock and jazz music?What is the difference between 'come up with' and 'come out with'?What is the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?