Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

narration; act of telling; family member; connection; association
description
application
relation
streamline
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

got on bus/taxi

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
usage of the verb "prefer" | connection between words in a sentence
listening exercisestell a friend
got on bus/taxi #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 01, 2007 17:10 pm   got on bus/taxi

I got on bus to my school.
We got on taxi for Tom's house.

I wrote the sentences to mean, "I/we travelled on bus/taxi.........respectively".

Please help me on this.

got on bus/taxi #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 01, 2007 18:15 pm   got on bus/taxi

Hi LE

The sentence "I got on the bus to my school." would be OK, but not the best way to say what you want to say. That means that there was a bus which was scheduled to go to your school, and you boarded that bus.

It would be better to say: "I took the bus to school" or "I went to school by bus ." Those would be the most typical ways to say what you want to say.

However, talking about a taxi is different for a couple of reasons:

1. You can "take a taxi (to a place)" but you cannot "get on a taxi" (unless you want to say that you climbed onto the roof of the taxi).

2. Taxis are not usually regularly scheduled to go to certain destinations. Instead, you call a taxi and then tell the driver where he/she should go. Using he word 'for' would suggest that the taxi was regularly scheduled and destined for Tom's house. Therefore, you cannot say "We took the taxi for Tom's house."

A correct sentence would be: "We took a taxi to Tom's house." or "We went to Tom's house by taxi."

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
usage of the verb "prefer" | connection between words in a sentence
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of in the same breathExpression: the only time in my life I got so I dreamed about thingsform - anwar & azam khan ( a.k.a khan) auctionsExpression : ' She does nothing other than read her books.'Is it so with "Would you like a cup of coffee?"?rarest of the big catsinfinitive usageIdiom: "This takes the biscuit"Idiom: "Cut the grass"Twingo vs. twinge?Phrase: the common roseThanks vs. Thank youlyrics/ interpretation