piece of soft material which cushions; block of pages stacked together and connected on one side
resilience
pad
ado
rush

Why are you learning English?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

I would vote for the USA, the UK, Germany and Japan to lead the world... | What's your favourite colour?
Why are you learning English? #106 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 13:22 pm   Why are you learning English?

Anyway, we're not like China, not that mean. Are you with me, princess?
Nassima

Why are you learning English? #107 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 13:25 pm   Why are you learning English?

hi everyone
i am from algeria but i live in uae in this contry arabic and english languages are spoken so i have to learn english because i tried to find a job but did not because my english is not good
Nassima

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Why are you learning English? #108 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 13:38 pm   Why are you learning English?

hello all
i want t olearn english because i'm interested in learning it. it's a wonderful langauge and if i finished it i would start learning another one . it could be spanish
Sunglasses

Why are you learning English? #109 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 14:12 pm   Why are you learning English?

hi
i want to learn english because i live in uae where the english is a second language, and english is language of the world
Nassima

Why are you learning English? #110 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 23:14 pm   Why are you learning English?

Hello every body!
I m new member here.I think so most of people learning english for jobs,wives,communication etc.
Mir44

Why are you learning English? #111 (permalink) Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 am   Why are you learning English?

Hello Torsten!
I'm impressed by the methods you use in order to help people that you don't know to improve their language skills. I've just read the reasons you give for learning English and I'm with you especially on the fourth item. I want to save time and be more effective in my work. I always considered that reading literature and any information in the original language is not only an advantage but it is imperiously necessary.

Moreover I have one reason more for learning English. I have got a lot of friends from various countries so communicate in English and we have the same interests.

Many thanks,
P.S. I often use your techniques for learning and teaching English, they are universal and practical.
Ecaterina.
Ecaterina

Why are you learning English? #112 (permalink) Tue Jan 27, 2009 0:28 am   Why are you learning English?

Why am I learning English?

there is an old big story behind that, I'm from a country that has been a colony of GB for like a decade so, teaching English in that country has always been a must in such a situation...
I started to learn it when I was only 4 years old and I actually didn't get at that time the use of learning a foreign language , it was just something funny and new..

Later on I realized the importance of foreign languages specially for English for all reasons you mentioned..
Now, I'm having all my courses in university in english, I'm watching American media all the time and talking with my foreign friends from all over the world in english..

the most important thing is that having the ability to interact in English gives me so many chances in that life and also makes me able to do things I'd never have done without it :)
Alshimaa Helmy

Why are you learning English? #113 (permalink) Tue Feb 03, 2009 19:25 pm   Why are you learning English?

Torsten wrote:
In September 2004 I asked Why do you want to improve your English? and we had a very interesting discussion. Now, almost three years later I'd like to ask the question again: Why are you learning English? I'm asking because I have worked with more than 1000 people in a classroom setting and those who knew exactly why they wanted to learn English invariably were more successful in their efforts than those lacking motivation.

I think that in any endeavor the most important question is why you are doing something. Once you are clear about your motives, you will find the means and methods to achieve your goal. This is the reason why most school students don't learn much English at school. They don't know why they are learning. The situation on a forum is different than a typical classroom. Why are here because we want to be here. And most of us here on the forum have an interest in learning English.

The question is, why do you want to improve your English? What does learning English give you? Why do you spend your time learning English while you could be doing something else such as reading a book in your native language or watching a movie in your native language? And why not learn another language instead of English? Why just English?

Hello Torsten,

why am I learning English? When I was in the third class (I was 9 years old) we had to decide which foreign language to learn. There were two foreign languages we could choose from, particularly German or English. I decided immediately without any hesitation - English. My parents asked me why I had chosen English to learn. They asked me how I would study this language as nobody in our family could speak English and would not be able to help me. I said that I would study by myself. IŽd like to note that in our country (Slovakia), German has been more preferred language, as Austria is our neighbouring state. And as I said, I studied English on my own. At the time, I did not know that English would be such an important requirement for getting a job as well as the language spoken by all nations around the world. I like this language and this fact also influenced my choice of the secondary school - Hotel academy where I started to learn also German and Italian and of course, English. I took the school leaving exams in German and English with A level. When leaving school, my German worsened as I did not speak it (in my job). I speak only English, particularly when communicating with our suppliers although they were not only English (German, Japanese...) :D . As I wanted to improve my English as much as possible, I started to study the preliminary course to pass the final exams in English with national standard. And of course, I passed. The aim in my life is to become a translator but I need further education - either university degree or another special state exam :D . This is quite difficult, as now I have a small baby and then, further education in our country is rather expensive :( But I believe that this course will help me to improve and refine my English and consequently achieve my lifelong goal - to study to become a translator.
Gabika

Location: Slovakia

why i learn english #114 (permalink) Sat Feb 07, 2009 15:26 pm   why i learn english

i learn english because i like this language and i want to improve it especially speaking skill we should practise and use the language otherwise we will loose it
Nesma22

Why are you learning English? #115 (permalink) Sat Feb 07, 2009 23:07 pm   Why are you learning English?

Hi Nesma,

If you really like the English language you should start to use to basic punctuation rules.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A man shoveling

Why are you learning English? #116 (permalink) Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:20 am   Why are you learning English?

Torsten wrote:
Hi Nesma,

You are right Torsten,

Most people tend to ignore the capitals in their English writing as they are much worried about their speaking abilty .

I think this is because they don't have to use such capitalization in their mother tongues. For example in my native language, Tamil, or perhaps in any of the Indian languages, there is no ''Capitals'' to begin the sentenses with. Do you know this..?

..
_________________
Sahid59

Better tomorrow with better English
Sahid59

Location: Chennai, South India

Why are you learning English? #117 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2009 15:13 pm   Why are you learning English?

Hi!
Personally, One good answer for this question is- " I learn English because I like English". I strongly believe in this quote "A job is well done if you like & enjoy that job". And for the benefits of learning this language- I think there are too many to say. I feel very confident when I am able to express my ideas in English to my superiors. Thanks for everythng

savitha
Savitha

Flawless English #118 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2009 18:14 pm   Flawless English

Hi Savitha..

You have a clear concept about learning and using flawless English.

Hope you will shine more with your polished English.

But I wonder why don't you disclose your location, language and interests in your profile.

Have a nice experience in this forum..!!
_________________
Sahid59

Better tomorrow with better English
Sahid59

Location: Chennai, South India

Why are you learning English? #119 (permalink) Tue Feb 24, 2009 13:55 pm   Why are you learning English?

Torsten wrote:

Hi Torsten

It seems to be a fashion for people to learn English nowadays. People likes to show that after their job they have another occupation which concernes the learning of a foreigner language like English. But I would like to show that I'm learning English because of his importance in my daily working life.
During a day work of my office, I need to use English. This language help me when talking with the suppliers or with the new comers who need some informations from my service.

I 'm steel looking for a good and interesting job, this obliges me to master the use of english and to own a testimonial for applying.

English was, is, and will be the first travelling language in the world it is a business language and so on.

This why I'm learning English.
Kevinzos

Why are you learning English? #120 (permalink) Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:15 am   Why are you learning English?

Hi, Torsten

I think my first reason for starting learning English was, to be a good teacher of the language. The native language of my country is Papiamento. It is mixture of Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and perhaps some African dialects. Our second language is Dutch, and English is the third language. I have been able to teach English successfully at secondary level, but the driving motive for me to improve my English right now is to be a good translator, with English as the target language. In addition to aspiring to be a good translator I also want to speak English with near-native fluency. To achieve this I am trying to create an English environment by means of cd's, videos and audio cassettes. It is sometimes difficult because I also need time to read Dutch, Spanish and Papiamento. So, right now I consider myself on the right track for being a winner, the more so because English is an appealing language.

Why is email the backbone service of the InternetBe smart and smarter!Stay -- one of the best songs evermethodologyEnglish For Winners onlineWhy do the crabs walk sideways?Need help with this short speech im suppost to do.Laziest man of the world.If you want to be a shrewd businessman.Over all a good gesture? So, Long live--So what are you ashamed to do?Mission Impossible: Ghost ProtocolWho would you beat first?