logical; reasonable; intelligent; prudent; expressible as a whole number (Mathematics)
rational
vast
hazardous
inalienable

Difference between should and shall

Remove the spoon | Expecting promotion
Difference between should and shall #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 10, 2005 13:12 pm   Difference between should and shall

Test No. incompl/elem-17 "White Water Rafting", question 5

Are you really suggesting that we ......... actually get into one of those ridiculous things?

(a) shall
(b) will
(c) should

Test No. incompl/elem-17 "White Water Rafting", answer 5

Are you really suggesting that we should actually get into one of those ridiculous things?

Correct answer: (c) should

Are you really suggesting that we shall actually get into one of those ridiculous things?
_________________________

why is it should and not shall?
thank you
sofia

Difference between should and shall #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 10, 2005 15:21 pm   Difference between should and shall

Should expresses a recommendation while shall expresses an action that will take place in the future.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social science class

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between should and shall #3 (permalink) Tue May 10, 2005 21:54 pm   Difference between should and shall

Torsten wrote:

Why can't it be

"Are you really suggesting that we will actually get into one of those ridiculous things?" ?

and how the above question is different from the following

"Do you really mean we will get into one of those ridiculous things?"

Is the second one wrong also?

Thank you
Abecedarian

Should or shall #4 (permalink) Tue May 10, 2005 22:19 pm   Should or shall

Let's take a look at the situation. One person is expressing their disbelief by saying: Are you really suggesting that we should actually get into one of those ridiculous things? This means, the second person has said that it might be a good idea to take a specific action. That's why should is used instead of shall or will.
Do you really mean we will get into one of those ridiculous things? means that one person has said that something will happen instead of suggesting an action.

TOEIC listening, photographs: An electrician

Should or shall #5 (permalink) Tue May 10, 2005 22:42 pm   Should or shall

Thanks Torsten. Please correct me if I have understood wrongly; "should" is used to indicate a "suggestion" in the first sentence and in the second sentence using "will" indicates something is going to definitely happen.

Thanks again.
Abecedarian

Should and will #6 (permalink) Wed May 11, 2005 11:57 am   Should and will

Dear Abecedarian,

You got that right.

TOEIC listening, photographs: An office meeting

Difference between should and shall #7 (permalink) Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:39 am   Difference between should and shall

Please Mr.Torsten explain it that

Is should used as a past form of shall? If so in what coditions ?
I have heard that the past form of will or shall is would. But some teachers say that tha past form of
shall is should.
Nageen

Difference between should and shall #8 (permalink) Sat Jun 20, 2009 19:26 pm   Difference between should and shall

Hey,

what about a sentence like: "Let's have a drink. Shall we?" Isn't that rather a suggestion than a action definitely going to take place?
Nathanael86

Difference between should and shall #9 (permalink) Tue Jan 05, 2010 14:59 pm   Difference between should and shall

Hi Torsten,

I am not sure I understand this clearly. Can you give me more samples about how to use "shall" and "should"? I also want to know the other differences between them besides they show different tenses.

Gwen
Gwen2010

Difference between should and shall #10 (permalink) Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 am   Difference between should and shall

As it is already said here, "shall" can also be used to express a suggestion.
As in this example: "Shall we dance".

Is using of "should" instead of "shall" in the test determined grammatically or stylistically?

Vadim Zhmykov

Difference between should and shall #11 (permalink) Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 am   Difference between should and shall

'Shall' is often used to express the idea of future in the first person singular and plural in the same way that 'will' is used for the other persons. But you have to appreciate that there is no future tense in English whereby the verb form changes. It can also be used in the interrogative form to suggest - Let's (Let us) do something as in: Shall we go out for lunch? should' on the other hand has the sense of obligation as in: We should help those people who are less fortunate than we are.

_________________

Difference between should and shall #12 (permalink) Thu Feb 25, 2010 15:31 pm   Difference between should and shall

Hello Alan,

Thank you for your explanation.
So, are you saying that in the test question "Are you really suggesting that we should actually get into one of those ridiculous things?" "should" has sense of obligation?

Vadim
Vadim Zhmykov

Difference between should and shall #13 (permalink) Thu Feb 25, 2010 15:44 pm   Difference between should and shall

Hi Vadim,

In the test sentence 'should' does have the idea of 'ought to' 'feel obliged to' 'is the right thing to do'. It's along the lines of: Do you really think we should follow what everyone else does?

I have used 'obligation' as a very general heading. Perhaps in conversation in a similar situation, you would say: Must we really/Do we really have to actually get into one of those ridiculous things?

Hope this clarifies what I mean rather than confuses!

_________________

Difference between should and shall #14 (permalink) Thu Feb 25, 2010 16:03 pm   Difference between should and shall

Thank you Alan!
I really got the idea that I should learn this phrase by heart ))
Vadim Zhmykov

Difference between should and shall #15 (permalink) Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:01 am   Difference between should and shall

thanks thats really helped me to understand it
Gr8sang

Location: Jaipur, India

Remove the spoon | Expecting promotion
meannig of offset declineat/on or in?Photojournalism is a branch of journalism that chiefly presents newsworthy...critics often say that it was a flop at the box officePhotojournalism is a branch of journalismСайты "П&#10Сайты "П&#10Сайты "П&#10Сайты "П&#10An editorial is an opinion column that states the opinion of the editorthe forces that shapeYou don't have to suffer from interpersonal anxiety!What are persuasive strategies?