ingredient; single piece which forms part of a larger unit; part; constituent; element
component
behind
step
offensive

meaning of lying down

the difference between "In case that" and "In the case that" | another business mail
meaning of lying down #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:32 am   meaning of lying down

If you think I'm going to take that lying down, you're very much mistaken.

Could you tell me what the "lying down" means here?
_________________
Please let me know if I have made any mistakes in any of my sentences.
Learning_English

meaning of lying down #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:23 am   meaning of lying down

In your sentence 'lying down' suggests without any opposition - in other words you will not object to or react to what the other person has said or done to you. If you are lying down you have submitted or admitted defeat.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
"at the core of"way of doing v.s. way to doExpression: "Reach one's ambition"Is it right?oriented lifestyletake off, get off, keep offvery much / greatlymeaning of "rushing over"Send me If You Have all British Alphabets (A to Z) Pronouciation?Rather thanoutputsExpression: "It's me."Is this sentence OK?