to search for valuable materials (such as gold, oil, etc.)
stretch
allow
cart
prospect

meaning of homeliness and fleshy skin

number/numbers | biography, thorough and easily observed
meaning of homeliness and fleshy skin #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 14, 2007 13:37 pm   meaning of homeliness and fleshy skin

Hi everyone.

I'd like to ask what does 'homeliness' mean in the following passage? Does it mean lack of beauty/attractiveness? And what is a fleshy skin - is it a thick skin or not?

Those with an appreciation of human beauty claimed that he was not particularly handsome, his face a touch asymmetrical, the skin rough and fleshy, while his thick mahogany-brown hair looked as if it was cut with a knife and his own strong hands. Yet that homeliness made him intriguing to some human females, judging by the idle chatter.
Klpno

homeliness, fleshy skin #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 14, 2007 16:44 pm   homeliness, fleshy skin

KLPNO,
Judging from the context, homeliness here means lacking stylishness or elegance, rather than lack of attractiveness because 1. his hair is a mess and 2. the ladies like him

Fleshy skin, to me, is skin bulging with meat...suggest that he's plump or fat. It's hard to picture skin both rough and fat...but that's what it says.
Diverhank

Location: California, USA

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
homeliness, fleshy skin #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 14, 2007 16:47 pm   homeliness, fleshy skin

Thank you very much, diverhank.
Klpno

Use of "better off""caring for" vs "caring"asked to/of him"Introduction to" vs "Introducton of"obscure avenue"I don't remember that I've visited...""The shoe is on the other foot now, IS IT?"better off (I will be better off after I get a good job)Use of 'went off' (I already went off when she came in my house)"which one of" v.s. "who of"A noun needed for the shapeless mass of toothpasteIs there anything who comes from overseas should be made aware of?meaning of can be damning