to endorse; to donate; to contribute; to pledge; to support; to approve
subscribe
alleviate
effect
grit

Why the verb eat can have the meaning of the adjective irritable?

Meaning of "'come over" | What does this phrase mean: deemed next to impossible?
Why the verb eat can have the meaning of the adjective irritable? #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 20, 2007 15:38 pm   Why the verb eat can have the meaning of the adjective irritable?

ESL/EFL Test #268 "Eating Idioms", question 6

What's eating you? -- means: What's making you .........?

(a) hungry
(b) ill
(c) forgetful
(d) irritable

ESL/EFL Test #268 "Eating Idioms", answer 6

What's eating you? -- means: What's making you irritable?

Correct answer: (d) irritable
_________________________

Why the verb eat can have the meaning of the adjective irritable? I know that it's just an idiom.

Spanier
Spanier

Why the verb eat can have the meaning of the adjective irritable? #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 20, 2007 16:21 pm   Why the verb eat can have the meaning of the adjective irritable?

Imagine a living creature eating you alive. Would you be irritated at it? (I bet you 100$ you would :) )

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Set expression 'sore throat'internal communications vs. external communicationsWhat they mean by "in fact"?"don't you" vs. "haven't you"What mean by eating out of sb'c hands?What is a mastermind?What does anew mean?Twelve months in this year?meaning of "to take after"What are question tags?difference between noun and subjectUse of past tense (sent vs. send)What dose the word "fuss" mean?