to pledge; to give one's word; to vow; to commit oneself to a certain course of action
dot
frank
content
promise

What mean by eating out of sb'c hands?

internal communications vs. external communications | Set expression 'sore throat'
What mean by eating out of sb'c hands? #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:32 am   What mean by eating out of sb'c hands?

ESL/EFL Test #268 "Eating Idioms", question 8

She had them all eating out of her hand -- means: She was able to ..........

(a) feed them all
(b) charm them all
(c) spoil them all
(d) please them all

ESL/EFL Test #268 "Eating Idioms", answer 8

She had them all eating out of her hand -- means: She was able to charm them all.

Correct answer: (b) charm them all

She had them all eating out of her hand -- means: She was able to please them all.
_________________________

What mean by eating out of sb'c hands?
Is this sentence spoken in Britain or America?
And, what is tense used in this sentence?
Thanks if answering.
Chelsea
Chelsea

What mean by eating out of sb'c hands? #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 24, 2007 17:39 pm   What mean by eating out of sb'c hands?

The idioms I know are "eat out of someone's hand" and "in the palm of one's hand". The meanings are basically the same.

If you have somebody in the palm of your hand, then you have managed to gain control over the other person. In other words, you have charmed or manipulated the other person to such an extent that the other person does or is willing to do whatever you want them to do.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Phrasal verb: checked out"say in two minds" = hesitate?"bear with me" = tolerate?to crack a nut: Is it Much ado about nothing?as long as vs. whenwhat is the difference between travel and trip?What they mean by "in fact"?"don't you" vs. "haven't you"Why remainder and not for the rest of the journey?What is a mastermind?What does this phrase mean: deemed next to impossible?Why the verb eat can have the meaning of the adjective irritable?Relative humidity and air temperature