excitement; great interest
slogan
background
property
enthusiasm

Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

share vs. take | Difference between look and appear
Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 26, 2007 14:22 pm   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

ESL/EFL Test #66 "Lunch is served", question 8

There is nothing worse when you take important clients out for lunch to find that the choice of dishes is very ..........

(a) isolated
(b) lonely
(c) narrow
(d) weak

ESL/EFL Test #66 "Lunch is served", answer 8

There is nothing worse when you take important clients out for lunch to find that the choice of dishes is very narrow.

Correct answer: (c) narrow

There is nothing worse when you take important clients out for lunch to find that the choice of dishes is very weak.
_________________________

Ildiko.
Ildiko

Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:51 am   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

Hi Ildiko

I suppose you could use the word 'poor'.
The use of the word 'narrow' in the test sentences suggests to me that the number of things on the menu was very limited.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 27, 2007 13:51 pm   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

Thank You very much for your response, it was very useful.
Could you tell me how could I get a pen friend?
Send a message to me if you can help?
Thanks in advance,
Ildiko.
Ildiko

Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 11, 2010 19:19 pm   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

There is nothing worse when you take important clients out for lunch (than) to find that the choice of dishes is very narrow.
Is the absence of "than" between "lunch" and "to find" deliberate or it's a typo?
Thanks in advance.
Baubau

Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 am   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

Hello teachers,

Help me, please! Either I don't catch the meaning of the whole statement or I understand it incorrectly.

The meaning is that it is "the worst thing when you invite your clients for lunch" (this is the first sentence before 'to') and it is turned out that "the lunch is poor" (this is the second sentence).

The problem is in that how to connect these two sentences? What type of joining here? Is it a coordinating or subordinating conjunction? Maybe some word is missed therefore the sence escapes me?

Thank you in advance,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #6 (permalink) Tue Oct 02, 2012 18:00 pm   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

The worst thing that can happen when you invite your clients for lunch is that the lunch is poor.
_________________

Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #7 (permalink) Tue Oct 02, 2012 19:53 pm   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

So, I've understood now that I can say in these ways:

There is nothing worse when you take important clients out for lunch and you all find that the choice of dishes is very narrow.

The worst thing that can happen when you invite your clients for lunch is to find that the lunch is poor.

Tell me please, is it correct?
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #8 (permalink) Tue Oct 02, 2012 21:59 pm   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

Your first sentence is not well written.
It does not mean the same as this:
There is nothing worse when you take important clients out for lunch than to find that the choice of dishes is very narrow/limited.
.
_________________

Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #9 (permalink) Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:27 am   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

Hi Beeesneeees,

As I can see your sentence differs from the original one with the word 'than' before 'to'. Now it is quite clear to me what the test statement is assigned to express.

The last question, as I hope. Is this case fit into that I've asked about in the question "Maybe some word is missed therefore the sence escapes me?" a little bit early?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here? #10 (permalink) Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:24 am   Can narrow be replaced with the word poor here?

"Maybe some word has been missed out, therefore the sense escapes me."
_________________

Steven held up a convenience store last week.Explain "an all-time high"defining vs describingWhat is meaning of "knock at"?What does 'got it back' mean?What does dully mean?meaning of "to crack a bottle"difference between "severe" and "strict"Assignment vs. testShouldn't the word "in" be in quotes?Extensive vs. ampleI thought we could go out together?We went swim every day