true or fictional account of some occurrence; short work of fiction; plot; news report
appliance
bottom
design
story

The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

participle (The plane crashed, killing all 200 people aboard) | Usage of could; could have
The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do ) #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:19 am   The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

I am trying to understand the use of "I am interested"...

Sentences:
s1 - I am interested in reading your novel
s2 - I am interested to read that we are the champions

Issues:
i1 - Are s1 and s2 correct sentences?
i2 - Do the sentences s1 and s2 have differences in meaning?
i3 - What is the grammar rule here?

thanks a lot
Jon

The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do ) #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:41 am   The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

I think both are used, in different situations. (A little different meanings.)

1.I am interested in reading your novel.
(indicating what you're interested in, habit, hobby, or something like that)
You may say that in your introduction when the first you go to a course: Hi, I'm Bryan, I'm interested in watching girls, so please I want to sit by them.

2.I am interested to read your novel.
(indicating the act you're going to do)
You may say that before you do the reading: Your friend Luke is a celebrity writer and he just finished his latest novel and he put the book on your hand, then you said 'Ohh, OK, I'm really interested to read right now'.
Edison_Chen_e_c

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do ) #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:13 am   The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

Hi, Chen

I am interested to read your novel. - i dont really think you can say that.

I am interested to read/find out/know that you are the champion (It is interesting to read/find out/know that you're the champion - you are not interested in reading, only in the fact)
I am interested in reading your novel (You're interested in the process)
Just my 2 cents

Anyway, let's see what the teachers have to say!

The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do ) #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 29, 2007 16:20 pm   The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

I just came home and checked up with my testbook :) Here is what I have been able to dig up

If we want to do something, we are interested in doing it
Douglas is interested in taking driving lessons
If we find something that we hear interesting, we say that we are interested to hear it
I'd be interested to know what you think about the idea

I am interested to see that the goverment is interested in building more hospitals

Hope it helps. :)

The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do ) #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 31, 2007 13:14 pm   The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

lost_soul wrote:

Hope it helps. :)

Hi, Alex
This is what I meant as you found out in your textbook:
<interested/excited/satisfied + to + RV>:(indicating the act you're going to do)

I'd be interested to know what you think about the idea.
I'm going to know your idea.
I am interested to see that the goverment is interested in building more hospitals.
The government is going to build buildings.
***
I'm interested to read/learn (the news) that we have won. (correct)
I'm interested in reading that we have won. (wrong)
***
I'm interested to read your novel (right now). (correct)
I feel interested to do the reading of your novel right now.
I'm interested in reading your novel. (correct)
I'm your loyal fan, my hobby is to read your novel, and I'm pleased with it (all the time).
Edison_Chen_e_c

The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do ) #6 (permalink) Fri Aug 31, 2007 13:24 pm   The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

Hi, Chen

I disagree that I'm interested to read your novel (right now). is correct.
Though, I'm not a judge here (because I'm a non-native English speaker :wink: ).
Therefore let our Teachers help us decide if it is correct or not.

The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do ) #7 (permalink) Fri Aug 31, 2007 13:53 pm   The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

lost_soul wrote:
Hi, Chen

I respect all the grownups' answer. 8) Then may I know your native language?
Edison_Chen_e_c

The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do ) #8 (permalink) Fri Aug 31, 2007 14:19 pm   The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

Hi you two

I'd say that Alex's (lost_soul's) description is pretty good. Perhaps you could also say that 'to' can be used after 'interested' when you refer to a specific, concrete fact and/or completed, real act:

Compare these sentences:
- 1. I was interested to learn that he had changed his name.
- 2. I was interested in learning whether he had changed his name.

- 1a. I am interested to learn that he has changed his name.
- 2a. I am interested in learning whether he has changed his name.

In sentences 1 and 1a, the change of name is factual/real and already completed.
In sentences 2 and 2a, we don't know if the change of name is factual/already done.

I also agree with Alex that this would be a correct sentence:
- I'm interested in reading your novel (right now).

I would probably understand that to mean that you want to read the novel but haven't begun reading it yet.

However, if you have already started reading the novel, I think it would be more typical to say something like this:
- I'm reading your novel right now and it's really interesting. ;)

I would also say that you can use either 'in' or 'to' in some sentences, but when in doubt, using 'in' is probably the safer bet. ;)
.
_________________

The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do ) #9 (permalink) Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:25 am   The use of "I am interested" ( ... In doing ... to do )

Master piece! 8)
Edison_Chen_e_c

capability of doing v.s. capability to doto or -ing / try to do, try doing, help to do, help doing'A' or 'The': 'A long time ago two friends were passing through a forest.'Expression: "I could only carry 20 Kg on my ticket, ..."Conditionals - 'If I were...'what's the point of the phrase?Expression: it turns adeliteBeing a military general paid fairly well, but ifIs it possible to use "which" after "figure"?Prepositions: I put the forks over|on the tableVerb tense rule in making suggestions?I don't quite understand the sentence, help!Am I right? (We desire that the tour leader ... us immediately of any change)