planning and execution; management of a business or other operation
logistics
deposit
meaning
publication

Difference between good and well

Expression: A little salt on my food | meaning of slang expression: 'do up'
Difference between good and well #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:06 pm   Difference between good and well

Test No. errors/advan-1 "Give me the bill", question 4

It is quite acceptable to pay a lot for high quality work especially if the service is very well.

(a) quite
(b) to pay
(c) if
(d) well

Test No. errors/advan-1 "Give me the bill", answer 4

It is quite acceptable to pay a lot for high quality work especially if the service is very good.

Correct entry: good
The error was: (d) well

You have found the error and your entry is correct.
_________________________

What exactely is the difference between well and good
Heinze

Difference between good and well #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:20 pm   Difference between good and well

Good is an adjective and well is an adverb. In the sentence you are referring to the adjective good is required because it describes the noun services.

The service of this company is very good. (adjective describing a noun)
They serve their customers very well. (adverb describing a verb)

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor discuss World War II?

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Well and good #3 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2005 21:29 pm   Well and good

So, is "All is well" or "I hope everything is going well" incorrect? Should it be "I hope everything is going good" or "All is good" since it appears that the description is of the noun "All..." or "...everything..." as opposed to "...is..."?
unclecharlie

All is well #4 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2005 21:48 pm   All is well

As you probably know the word well can be an adjective as well as an adverb. In some of the set phrases you are referencing well is used as an adverb and in others it functions as an adjective.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The park

Well as an adverb or adjective? #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 03, 2006 18:18 pm   Well as an adverb or adjective?

Actually, in those sentences, isn't the "Well" modifying the verb "is"?

In that case it would still be an adverb. So "I hope all is going well" would have "well" modifying "is going" so it's functioning as an adverb.

Difference between good and well #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2011 20:46 pm   Difference between good and well

This sentence throws me off. Doesn't the high quality work suggest good service? Also, isn't "you pay WHEN the service is good" more natural than "you pay IF the service is good"? Why is IF a better choice in this case?
Johnny04

Difference between good and well #7 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2011 21:21 pm   Difference between good and well

I don't think 'when' is any more natural than 'if', though it is an alternative. Here 'if' is an option and 'when' isn't. If they were both an option then there would be two correct answers.

Just because the work is good doesn't mean the service is. You could have work of a very high quality as an end result, but there might have been delays which meant it wasn't ready when promised, for example.
_________________

Re: Well as an adverb or adjective? #8 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2011 21:28 pm   Re: Well as an adverb or adjective?

Anonymous wrote:

As Torsten says, an adjective is needed here, so 'well' doesn't function as anything correctly in this context because the definitions of its use as an adjective do not fit the sentence (in good health; in a good state or position.)

However, this definition of the adjective 'good' fits perfectly:
of high quality or an acceptable standard.
_________________

stopped at the marketWhat does armoire mean?What is flax?REMWhat is a carseat?not unlikeWhy "finished" but not "finishes"?Has been blowing all night -- not finished yet?What is body wash?faint whisper vs. a faint whisper/faint whispersHe recalled going to the store on Friday.in alphabetical orderpast perfect vs. simple past