ball; sphere; planet Earth; world
globe
admission
glove
estate

difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

Difference between verbal and wordy? | Meaning of 'muddled up'
difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with' #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:39 am   difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Eating Idioms Test (1)", question 7

The new girl is always sucking up to the boss. Last week, she bought his son a new pair of designer shoes.

(a) suggesting new ideas
(b) trying to gain favor by being really nice
(c) speaking her mind

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Eating Idioms Test (1)", answer 7

The new girl is always trying to gain favor by being really nice to the boss. Last week, she bought his son a new pair of designer shoes.

Correct answer: (b) trying to gain favor by being really nice

_________________________

Can you tell me about the difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'?

Thank you vry much
anne maria
anne maria

difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with' #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:20 am   difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

.
Usage varies, but generally 'talk to' indicates the simple action (as opposed to remaining silent), while 'talk with' suggests an extended conversation.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with' #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:47 am   difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

i'm confused.. which is more appropriate? may i talk to? or may i talk with?
what are the differences? can you please elaborate your explanation? thank you so much..
Gerjek

Location: Phlippines

difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with' #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 am   difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

.
You can use either.

'talk to' = the simple action (as opposed to remaining silent)
'talk with' = an extended conversation.

I don't know how to make this clearer or more absolute.
.
_________________

difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with' #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:01 am   difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

thank you! ^_^
Gerjek

Location: Phlippines

difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with' #6 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:15 am   difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

As Charles has indicated, 'talk to' has the sense of direct communication person to person whereas 'talk with' indicates more a conversation. The rightness is not really an issue, it is simply a difference in meaning. If you ask: Who is that person talking to Fred? you are more interested in the identity of the person. If you ask: Who is that person talking with Fred? you also want to know the identity but at the same time you are commenting on the fact that Fred is actually having a conversation with anyone at all.

_________________

difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with' #7 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:53 am   difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

hello,

how about this. if i say 'may i talk to Ana?', it means a one way conversation will take place.. me talking and Ana listening..
but when i say 'may i talk with Ana?', it means there will be a sharing of opinions between me and Ana.
do you think my interpretations are right?
thanks sir alan!

jessica
Gerjek

Location: Phlippines

hi #8 (permalink) Fri Jun 19, 2009 14:50 pm   hi

What about the difference between: "speak to", "speak with", "talk to" & "talk with" ?
Matanasov

difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with' #9 (permalink) Fri Jun 19, 2009 14:51 pm   difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'

The same comments apply.
_________________

What does "sticking his neck out" mean?What does shipping costs mean?Pay out vs. spend moneyWhy use "pull it off" in this sentence?Isn't defers has the same meaning as describes?Meaning of "a real pain in the neck"Meaning of "I am listening very carefully"Meaning of "I'll tell you my honest opinion"What is "a diamond in the rough"?the way of moving vs. the process of movingHe who hesitates is lost. vs He who hesitates is late.Meaning of "look forward to"Another vs. other