sacrificing moral principles in order to attain power; politically cunning; crafty
machiavellian
benevolent
laconic
fatuous

Speaking topics in TOEFL®

THE EFFECTS OF OIL SPILLS | Traveling to a different country can be both exciting and frustrating
Speaking topics in TOEFL #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:10 am   Speaking topics in TOEFL

hi everyone,
i will have my TOEFL on wednesday and i want to practice for speaking section.is there anyone who has speaking topics in TOEFL?please send me because i need them very much.
thanks so much.

TOEFL listening lectures: How would you describe the results of the Viking biological experiments?
Zeyneparslan

speaking topics #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 15, 2008 16:09 pm   speaking topics

hi, does anyone have speaking topics for TOEFL IBT? if yeah, i would politely ask to send them to my e-mail adress: gurbanov@ymail.com, i would be so grateful, thanks in advance... :wink:
Gurbanov

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Speaking topics in TOEFL #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 16, 2008 15:52 pm   Speaking topics in TOEFL

some of the speaking topics for question no. 1 are

Describe your best friend.
Favorite holiday spot/ Hobby/Subject/teacher in school/animal (pet)/Icon/author/book/sport/Movie/Food/color.
Given one-month time to do whatever you like to do, what would you like to do?
Most cherished moment at school
Which country/city would you like to visit?
Toughest challenge faced by you
If you could know your future, what would you like to know?
What would you send to an international exhibition? Your object should represent your country.
Your strangest dream.
What do you miss when you are away from your home?
What would you like to do between study time, to take a break or to relax?
Some students prefer university in the home region while others prefer studying abroad. What would you prefer?
Some only go to the movies if they know about the film, whereas others like to go to get surprised and watch movies they know nothing about. What do you prefer and why?
What are important considerations in chosing a job/career according to you?
Some prefer traveeling independently whereas others prefer travelling in a pre-arranged package tour. Which do you prefer and why?
Which mode of transport do you prefer travelling by and why?
Samaira

Speaking topics in TOEFL #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 24, 2008 18:59 pm   Speaking topics in TOEFL

hi..you said that you would take the test in a few days but ıt was in september, isn't it? I wanted to help you but I saw your message today:( I wonder what your score is?
Kepilik

Speaking topics in TOEFL #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 11, 2008 16:40 pm   Speaking topics in TOEFL

can u help me....)))
speaking section...for me it is difficult....hoewever i know what to talk about, the time limit is really short and i begin to nervous...but it is my problem,!!!1i want to ask when the time is so short from what i should start to speak, can u give me construction of speaking, i mean the way of speaking how it should go...??)))

thanks.)))
Asselya

Speaking topics in TOEFL #6 (permalink) Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:37 am   Speaking topics in TOEFL

I have lots of practice topics for you to try, and they include links to Chinswing, where you can practice recording your responses online.

Full speaking practice test (questions 1-6):
http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/12/17/ibt-toefl-speaking-practice-test-1-full-online-men/page1/

Independent question 1 practice (40 questions):
http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/08/29/toefl-ibt-speaking-independent-topic-list-open-cho/page1/

Independent question 2 practice (40 questions):
http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/12/20/toefl-ibt-speaking-independent-topic-list-paired-c/page1/

Hope that helps - best of luck!

~ Jason
EnglishRaven

Location: Melbourne Australia

Speaking topics in TOEFL #7 (permalink) Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:47 am   Speaking topics in TOEFL

Here is an article I wrote about TOEFL iBT speaking. My motto has always been, "If you prepare, you will not fear."

“How Can I Prepare for the Speaking Section of the TOEFL iBT?”

The independent and integrated speaking competencies required for the TOEFL iBT are formidable challenges, but the following suggestions, if implemented through a regular course of study over an extended period of time, will help you to achieve the speaking confidence needed for a strong score.

To perform well on the independent speaking tasks, you should consider the following:

1. Create a list of familiar topics and practice speaking about them: “Describe your favorite vacation destination,” and “Describe an important person who has influenced you” are representative of familiar Independent Speaking topics for the iBT

2. You could also practice by stating an opinion or a preference and then by presenting reasons clearly and in detail. “Which do you think is better: living on campus in dorms or off campus in apartments?” is representative of an opinion-preference Independent Speaking topic for the iBT.

3. Making a recommendation and explaining why it is the best way to proceed is another type of speaking task that you should practice. “What is the best method of travel when going on a vacation? Explain why?” represents this type of Independent Speaking topic for the iBT.

4. Practice giving 1 minute responses to these types of speaking tasks.

Lastly, to perform well on the integrated speaking tasks, you should consider the following:

1. Find a college textbook that includes discussion questions at the end of the chapter. Read the chapter, take notes, and practice orally answering the discussion questions.

2. Read short 100-200 word articles. You can find such articles on the Internet, in the library, or in your TOEFL textbook. After reading the article, make a brief outline which includes its major points Then use the outline to orally summarize the information, after which you can add detail to the outline and orally summarize again.

3. Using the Internet, the library, or your TOEFL textbook + CD Rom, find listening and reading materials on similar topics. The material can provide similar or opposing points of view. After taking notes on the listening and the reading materials, you should do the following:

Orally summarize the information. Make sure that you paraphrase the information using different words and grammatical structures.

Orally synthesize by combining information form the listening and reading materials and by explaining how they relate.

4. Increase your knowledge of vocabulary and idiomatic language. Learn to use them in your speech.

5. Learn grammatical structures, particularly basic and complex sentences, so well that you are comfortable using them in your speech.

6. Learn to solve pronunciation problems, paying particular attention to word stress, intonation patterns, and pauses.

7. When practicing for the TOEFL iBT, take about 15 seconds to prepare a response before beginning to speak.

Write down some key words and phrases, but do not write down exactly what you want to say.

If you read your response, raters will give you a lower score.

8. Use signal words and phrases to create a coherent flow of information: to introduce new information, to connect ideas, and to emphasize important points.

9. Make regular recordings of your iBT speaking tasks and make sure your pronunciation and fluency are clear and easy to understand. If possible, have ESL/EFL instructors evaluate your speech using the appropriate TOEFL iBT Speaking rubrics.

Practice, practice, and practice doing these suggestions, and you will conquer the speaking section of the TOEFL iBT.

Michael Buckhoff is an ESL and English Professor at California State University, San Bernardino California and has been teaching TOEFL preparation courses since 1994.
Mbuckhoff

Speaking topics #8 (permalink) Tue Feb 09, 2010 20:40 pm   Speaking topics

A place in your country you would recommend others to visit
Samg0454

Speaking topics in TOEFL #9 (permalink) Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:54 am   Speaking topics in TOEFL

writing topic is also speaking topic.
only EnglishRaven's and Mbuckhoff's advice is helpful
you can always find this kind of question through GOOGLE.
I say what I can say.
Alive
_________________
K-I-S-S
------------------
Alive

Location: Hanoi, Vietnam

Speaking topics in TOEFL #10 (permalink) Thu Feb 11, 2010 18:50 pm   Speaking topics in TOEFL

need help I'm studing for the TKT and phonics is my headache What should I do ?
Lyeselec

Re: Speaking topics in TOEFL #11 (permalink) Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:18 pm   Re: Speaking topics in TOEFL

HI THERE!!!! u have less time to practice now, you could have taken some proffesional help i think, never mind..i think you must surf the net, you will get a lot of sites which will give you an insight. One of my friend joined THe Chopras(FOR THE TOEFL AND KAPLAN MATERIALS)and in short time he did really well, you can try contacting them.
Kunsanju

THE EFFECTS OF STRESSWhat are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)?How a person look or dress is more important to one’s success than aComputersWhat person in history you would like to meetMany people visit museums when they go to new places.Whether parents should support their children to have a part-time jobTHANK YOU A MILLION KITOS >:D<, I took my exam today.People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doingthe causes of deforestrationAdvertising: good-badMovies and TV programs made in your own country are more interesting comparing toScientists should be responsible for the negative impacts of their discoveries.