Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to rent; to inhabit; to occupy
visit
further
even
tenant
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The use of 'Sir': Capital 'S' or small?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
My boss ... a salary increase. He ... the announcement this morning | Expression: "I get cracked feet in winter."
listening exercisestell a friend
The use of 'Sir': Capital 'S' or small? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 06, 2007 15:05 pm   The use of 'Sir': Capital 'S' or small?

Hi

I have seen both versions--could you please tell me if both are correct?

Quote:
1- Can I help you, sir?
2- Can I help you, Sir?

Tom

PS: Is my use of the word "versions" correct in the given context?
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

The use of 'Sir': Capital 'S' or small? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 06, 2007 16:37 pm   The use of 'Sir': Capital 'S' or small?

I'd use your first version, Tom.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
The use of 'Sir': Capital 'S' or small? #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 06, 2007 18:31 pm   The use of 'Sir': Capital 'S' or small?

Hi Tom,

The usual form of address would be lower case 's'. The capital 'S' could be used in narrative when perhaps the man was of particular importance as with a woman 'madam' 'Madam'. Then of course in the UK the capital 'S' + the first name of a man is used as a title - a so-called knighthood given by the monarch if the individual has made a major contribution in a particular field. Further details could no doubt be supplied by our friend, Englishuser.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

The use of 'Sir': Capital 'S' or small? #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 06, 2007 20:01 pm   The use of 'Sir': Capital 'S' or small?

Many thanks, Amy and Alan

In Jane Eyre, throughout "Sir" has been written with a capital 'S'--however in my book "Skills in English", at many places it has been written with a lower case.

Tom

PS: Is my use of throughout correct here?
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

My boss ... a salary increase. He ... the announcement this morning | Expression: "I get cracked feet in winter."
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Need someone help... (please check my writing/paraphrase)Fill the blank: The first version of Microsoft Windows ... the market in 1983The use of the word "Bunk""would have said" vs "would said"Expression: "I have reached the last rung of my career ladder."Expression: "It gets dried easily."The use of "tell on"Use of 'As Is' (..., choose a technique that allows you to measure it 'as is')Expression: "Throughout the day at office..."Expression: "She was walking in bare feet.""This" via "It"The use of commas in formal (informal) lettersthe meaning of a sentence: A rebound romance burns fast and hot like...