to specialize in a certain field
major
perceive
command
interest

What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'?

Idiom "old hat" | What is the difference between 'esteem' and 'estimate'?
What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'? #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 09, 2007 23:54 pm   What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'?

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Taxes", question 2

I had a letter from the office of the Collector of Taxes telling me that I had to pay back all the money I ......... over the last 3 years.

(a) due
(b) indebted
(c) owed
(d) owned

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Taxes", answer 2

I had a letter from the office of the Collector of Taxes telling me that I had to pay back all the money I owed over the last 3 years.

Correct answer: (c) owed

I had a letter from the office of the Collector of Taxes telling me that I had to pay back all the money I owned over the last 3 years.
_________________________

what s the differnce between to owe and to owne.

Zulu
Zulu

What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'? #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:57 am   What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'?

.
Have you checked your dictionary for the definitions of owe and own?

If you owe someone money, you must give the money (back) to that person.
owe

If you own a car, the car is yours to keep.
own
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "run through"tell me vs. told mewhat is the meaning of wrapping?what is the meaning of gross and what is equavilent to the verb lay?make your purchases vs. make your buyingPhrase: he could be back with his ex-girlfriendWhy can I not use "very kindly" in this case?what's the meaning of "water off"?meaning of releasephrasal verb "carry up" = "pick up"?extinguish vs dampenWhat does smoothed away mean?My wife got really mad not made