Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to specialize in a certain field
major
perceive
command
interest
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Idiom "old hat" | What is the difference between 'esteem' and 'estimate'?
listening exercisestell a friend
What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'? #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 09, 2007 23:54 pm   What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'?

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Taxes", question 2

I had a letter from the office of the Collector of Taxes telling me that I had to pay back all the money I ......... over the last 3 years.

(a) due
(b) indebted
(c) owed
(d) owned

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Taxes", answer 2

I had a letter from the office of the Collector of Taxes telling me that I had to pay back all the money I owed over the last 3 years.

Correct answer: (c) owed

Your answer was: incorrect
I had a letter from the office of the Collector of Taxes telling me that I had to pay back all the money I owned over the last 3 years.

what s the differnce between to owe and to owne.

Zulu
Zulu

What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'? #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:57 am   What is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'?

Have you checked your dictionary for the definitions of owe and own?

If you owe someone money, you must give the money (back) to that person.
owe

If you own a car, the car is yours to keep.
own

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Idiom "old hat" | What is the difference between 'esteem' and 'estimate'?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
meaning of "run through"tell me vs. told mewhat is the meaning of wrapping?what is the meaning of gross and what is equavilent to the verb lay?make your purchases vs. make your buyingPhrase: he could be back with his ex-girlfriendWhy can I not use "very kindly" in this case?what's the meaning of "water off"?meaning of releasephrasal verb "carry up" = "pick up"?extinguish vs dampenWhat does smoothed away mean?My wife got really mad not made