Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

sole; limited to a selected few; incompatible; fashionable; unique
urban
society
above
exclusive
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
make your purchases vs. make your buying | How to use the conditionals in English?
listening exercisestell a friend
Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case? #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 10, 2007 21:14 pm   Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #88 "Common English Errors (4)", question 9

Our nanny has always been ......... to us.

(a) very kindly
(b) kindly
(c) being kindly
(d) kind

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #88 "Common English Errors (4)", answer 9

Our nanny has always been kind to us.

Correct answer: (d) kind

Your answer was: incorrect
Our nanny has always been very kindly to us.

Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?

Thank you for our response, I like this site very much.

Max
Max

Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case? #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 10, 2007 22:07 pm   Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?

'Kind' is an adjective, which is what is needed in the test sentence.

'Kindly' is an adverb and could be used as follows: Our nanny has always treated us very kindly.
Conchita
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case? #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:25 am   Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?

There is also a more old-fashioned usage of 'kindly' as an adjective. It would usually be used to describe a person's general nature or personality rather than how that person acts with specific people.

For example, you could say "Our nanny is a (very) kindly old woman."

Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case? #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:26 am   Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?

Just can't help mentioning this:
I don't take kindly to our nanny (means - I don't like her) - is an expression I've heard thousand times on TV.
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case? #5 (permalink) Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:15 am   Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?

Right you are, Alex. :D
The complete expression is "(not) take kindly (to)".
i.e. For this meaning, 'kindly' is always used with 'take', usually in a negative sentence and followed by 'to'.

Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case? #6 (permalink) Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:23 am   Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?

Yankee wrote:
Right you are, Alex. :D
The complete expression is "(not) take kindly (to)".
i.e. For this meaning, 'kindly' is always used with 'take', usually in a negative sentence and followed by 'to'.

Yeah, I heard it numerous times in South Park.
I happened to remember it because if you translated it directly into Russian, it would sound soooooo weird that no one would understand you :) It is one of those expressions that run so much counter to Russian
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case? #7 (permalink) Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:52 am   Why can I not use "very kindly" in this case?

Hi LS,

Just another snippet - you can also say: 'Look kindly (up)on someone' when you suggest that you're not too severe or strict with them although they may have done something worng/made a mistake.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

make your purchases vs. make your buying | How to use the conditionals in English?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"around 50" -- what does it mean?Is it better to turn off tower when not in use for the computer.meaning of "run through"presence vs. presentstell me vs. told mewhat is the meaning of wrapping?what is the meaning of gross and what is equavilent to the verb lay?Phrase: he could be back with his ex-girlfriendWhat is the difference between 'owe' and 'own'?What is the difference between 'esteem' and 'estimate'?what's the meaning of "water off"?Idiom "old hat"meaning of release