Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

strange; unfamiliar; from or of another place; pertaining to dealings with another country
suspect
loyal
overhead
foreign
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does fed up mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'in general' mean? | Good test!
listening exercisestell a friend
What does fed up mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2007 13:44 pm   What does fed up mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Christmas Postman (1)", question 9

He was ......... up with people he met every so often

(a) eaten
(b) fed
(c) consumed
(d) digested

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Christmas Postman (1)", answer 9

He was fed up with people he met every so often

Correct answer: (b) fed

Your answer was: incorrect
He was digested up with people he met every so often

Hi!
" was fed up with someone" what is mean?
Thanks,
Lam tung
Lam tung

What does fed up mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2007 14:24 pm   What does fed up mean?

I think you'll find this dictionary definition very clear:

fed up
Conchita
Language Coach

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does fed up mean? #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2007 15:30 pm   What does fed up mean?

I am fed up with the persom I met every so often.
I am disgusted with the person I met every so often.
The two sentences are almost the same, right?

What does fed up mean? #4 (permalink) Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:30 am   What does fed up mean?

aleaf wrote:
I am fed up with the persom I met every so often.
I am disgusted with the person I met every so often.
The two sentences are almost the same, right?

Not really, Aleaf. To be disgusted suggests a stronger feeling than to be fed ud. If you're disgusted by someone, you dislike them very much or they make you feel sick.

Incidentally, the mixture of tenses in your examples is a bit confusing, unless you wanted to say that you are disgusted/fed up now with someone you met sometimes in the past.
Conchita
Language Coach

What does fed up mean? #5 (permalink) Tue Sep 18, 2007 19:41 pm   What does fed up mean?

I would say that being fed up and being disgusted with someone are two different things -- not just different levels of the same thing.

Being fed up, in my mind, is typically associated with a temporary condition -- an expression of frustration at current situations. On the other hand, being disgusted with something/someone reads to me as having an almost physical, highly unpleasant reaction to something/someone.

Examples, I am fed up with my coworkers who do not do their jobs.

I am disgusted by an unkempt home.
Auldglory
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does fed up mean? #6 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 14:52 pm   What does fed up mean?

According with the dictionary:
fed uP: having reached the limits of tolerance or patience with somebody or something
Regards
Juanfrausto
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does 'in general' mean? | Good test!
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of "surviving an array"'meet with someone's approval' mean someone agrees with something?Meaning of "stuck out a mile"Balmy weather vs Frosty weathereverything vs. anythingsound vs speechWhy it could not be "expressed fashion"?What does "walks of life" mean?How does this affect the relationships that God created?infra red vs. infraredWhat does "roaming agreement" mean?Can you explain the meaning of the phrase "cell broadcasts"?Meaning of the term 'stage hand'