way; route; course; section; piece
pair
standpoint
capex
passage

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Using 'THE' to much | Usage of colour (Her hair's colour was gold, etc.)
'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 23, 2007 20:43 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Which one is the correct?

how are you
How do you do?

Why gramatically?

Jon

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:31 am   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

They are both correct. "How do you do" is more formal, and "How are you" is informal. You can also say "How are you doing".
Tagarbo

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:03 am   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

.
"How do you do?" is basically limited to introductions. In other words, you can say it only once to someone (just after being introduced) and then never again. Instead of saying "How do you do?" you can also say "It's nice to meet you" or "Pleased to meet you."

"How are you?" is a standard greeting. If you see someone daily, you could say "How are you?" to that person every single day.
.
_________________

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 18, 2009 16:47 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

I think nowadays almost nobody would say 'How do you do' any longer.

TOEIC short conversations: Customer returns cell phone to store because it doesn't work.

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 18, 2009 19:47 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

I agree with Torsten. 'How do you do?' is very formal, very correct and very British.

_________________

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 18, 2009 20:14 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Or, very Johny Cash-ish!

Listen starting at about 1:15

_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #7 (permalink) Fri Jun 19, 2009 19:21 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

.
Now that's a fine how-do-you-do.
:)
__________________________
"If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat." ~ Mark Twain
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #8 (permalink) Fri Jun 19, 2009 20:13 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Pause the video at 0:26 and you'll clearly see Kitosdad in the audience, at the bottom left hand corner of your screen. :P

Note that the video was filmed inside San Quentin. Now we know the real reason why Kitos hates America so much.... 8)
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #9 (permalink) Sat Jun 20, 2009 0:57 am   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Skrej wrote:
Or, very Johny Cash-ish!

Or very Shakira-ish, in the song of that name. (Her lips don't hi.)

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #10 (permalink) Tue Jun 23, 2009 0:19 am   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

hello how do you do?
Edgar Rodriguez

Usage of 'timings'Usage of 'go on'Difference between 'during the year...' and 'at the period of...'Phrase: He has join the job or not then...Voice message (I'd like to improve my English...)Meaning of walk (Someone is coming up the walk.)Differences between "for" and "ago"?What is the meaning of this sentense?happen vs take placeSentence: Please submit your income tax returns form, if not submitted.Usage of 'rank'Sentence: They would have walked to the station. (The conditional simple)Concern with vs concern about