Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

way; route; course; section; piece
pair
standpoint
capex
passage
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Using 'THE' to much | Usage of colour (Her hair's colour was gold, etc.)
listening exercisestell a friend
'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 23, 2007 20:43 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Which one is the correct?

how are you
How do you do?

Why gramatically?

Thanks
Jon
You can meet me at english-test.net

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:31 am   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

They are both correct. "How do you do" is more formal, and "How are you" is informal. You can also say "How are you doing".
Tagarbo

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:03 am   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

"How do you do?" is basically limited to introductions. In other words, you can say it only once to someone (just after being introduced) and then never again. Instead of saying "How do you do?" you can also say "It's nice to meet you" or "Pleased to meet you."

"How are you?" is a standard greeting. If you see someone daily, you could say "How are you?" to that person every single day.

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 18, 2009 16:47 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

I think nowadays almost nobody would say 'How do you do' any longer.

TOEIC short conversations: Customer returns cell phone to store because it doesn't work.
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 18, 2009 19:47 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

369 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

I agree with Torsten. 'How do you do?' is very formal, very correct and very British.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 18, 2009 20:14 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Alan wrote:
Hi,

I agree with Torsten. 'How do you do?' is very formal, very correct and very British.

Alan

Or, very Johny Cash-ish!

Listen starting at about 1:15

Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #7 (permalink) Fri Jun 19, 2009 19:21 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Now that's a fine how-do-you-do.
:)

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #8 (permalink) Fri Jun 19, 2009 20:13 pm   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Pause the video at 0:26 and you'll clearly see Kitosdad in the audience, at the bottom left hand corner of your screen. :P

Note that the video was filmed inside San Quentin. Now we know the real reason why Kitos hates America so much.... 8)
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #9 (permalink) Sat Jun 20, 2009 0:57 am   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

Skrej wrote:
Or, very Johny Cash-ish!

Or very Shakira-ish, in the song of that name. (Her lips don't hi.)

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?' #10 (permalink) Tue Jun 23, 2009 0:19 am   'How are you?' vs 'How do you do?'

hello how do you do?
Edgar Rodriguez
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Using 'THE' to much | Usage of colour (Her hair's colour was gold, etc.)
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Usage of 'timings'Usage of 'go on'Difference between 'during the year...' and 'at the period of...'Phrase: He has join the job or not then...Voice message (I'd like to improve my English...)Meaning of walk (Someone is coming up the walk.)Differences between "for" and "ago"?What is the meaning of this sentense?happen vs take placeSentence: Please submit your income tax returns form, if not submitted.Usage of 'rank'Sentence: They would have walked to the station. (The conditional simple)Concern with vs concern about