particular form of something; variant; rendering; translation
article
mood
profession
version

meaning of "I'm a closed book"

Expression: "get my share" | Intent vs intention
meaning of "I'm a closed book" #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:49 am   meaning of "I'm a closed book"

What does it mean and please give me sample sentences?

Thanks a lot !
Storm

Location: Thailand

meaning of "I'm a closed book" #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:16 am   meaning of "I'm a closed book"

Hi Storm

Is the sentence "I am a closed book" your sentence or did you read it somewhere? If you read it somewhere, what was the context?

We sometimes say that a person is an "open book", which means that it is easy to understand, to know, or to discover information about that person.

So, your sentence "I am a closed book", seems to mean "I am not easy to understand". However, depending on the context, there may be other ways of interpreting that sentence.

It would be more common to say that a certain topic (rather than a person) is a "closed book to me", and that means that the topic is something that you don't know anything about or that the topic is a complete mystery to you.

"Pharmacokinetics is a closed book to me. I know nothing about it."
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Umm. a closed book... #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:42 am   Umm. a closed book...

Well Ami, I was asked this sentence by my engineer student at the hotel. He was trying to sign up in a dating website and I reckon this is a kind of drop down menu to choose what kind of person one is? Only a short phrase "a closed book". This is very new to me so I asked for help here then.

Thank you very much for your good explaination as always.
Storm

Location: Thailand

meaning of "I'm a closed book" #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 06, 2007 16:56 pm   meaning of "I'm a closed book"

There's a similar sentence in spanish

Perhaps it means that you can hear (listen?) someone's secret, and you won't tell to someone else. You're a Book (because you have information) but you're closed (Because no one can know this information)

What do you think of it?
Forastero

Location: Colombia

meaning of "I'm a closed book" #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:58 am   meaning of "I'm a closed book"

Means he or she won't have sex with ya!

Nic'
Nic'

meaning of "I'm a closed book" #6 (permalink) Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:52 am   meaning of "I'm a closed book"

An English Idiom: Closed book to me
Papatyae

meaning of "I'm a closed book" #7 (permalink) Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:35 pm   meaning of "I'm a closed book"

...nope, only an american way to say "won't shag wit anyone right there, no hope to get from that".

Nic'
Nic'

meaning of "I'm a closed book" #8 (permalink) Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:58 am   meaning of "I'm a closed book"

Nic' wrote:
Means he or she won't have sex with ya!

No, it doesn't mean that.

Nic' wrote:

Nic'

Again, you're wrong.

You obviously aren't an American, and have absolutely no knowledge of American idioms or saying.

As an American, I can tell you that your are 100% incorrect in your definition.

Please refrain from giving useless advice to others that is incorrect. I suggest you look to correcting your own English before pulling erroneous advice out your own butt.

Also, try and pay attention to the dates of the topics. You resurrected a thread 2 years dead only to give faulty advice and confuse people anew.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

using pronoun or notIdiom: Go climb a treeIdioms: Lay an egg, Go cold turkeyExpression: If buyer wants the order to be activeThis wapsite is designed specially for your mobile phoneWhat is the meaning of "get rid off"?What does "I dos" phrase mean in the following two articles?Incredibly useful business vocabulary for ESL studentsSequence of tenses: I saw that the postman dropped some letters in our letter...'repulsive in appearance and action and is barely human'A father of nineGrammatical structures: He was only too happy to oblige, etc...Difference: now vs now on; later vs later on