Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

portable personal computer; laptop computer
notebook
landscape
mentor
impulse
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

more friendly vs friendlier

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
A sentence pattern with negative meaning confuses me | What's a "Fragment"?
listening exercisestell a friend
more friendly vs friendlier #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 29, 2007 18:42 pm   more friendly vs friendlier

Hello,

Please, which one is correct: more friendly or friendlier
Are both correct?

Thanks in advance
Jon
You can meet me at english-test.net

more friendly vs friendlier #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 29, 2007 22:35 pm   more friendly vs friendlier

Hi Jon

The word friendly is a two-syllable adjective, and saying 'friendlier' would be correct and quite natural. However, I'm sure that people sometimes also say 'more friendly'.

Adverbs such as quickly and slowly, for example, can only be used with 'more' to make the comparative form:

- more quickly
- more slowly

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
more friendly vs friendlier #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:26 am   more friendly vs friendlier

Yankee wrote:
more slowly

Just to add to this -- 'slower' can also be used (but then it is the comparative of the adverb 'slow').

Sometimes 'quick/quicker' are also used as adverbs, but this is informal English.
Conchita
Language Coach

more friendly vs friendlier #4 (permalink) Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:37 pm   more friendly vs friendlier

Hi Conchita

Yes, that's right. People often use one-syllable adjectives (slow and quick, for example) as adverbs in informal English.

However, I mentioned two syllable adverbs ending with -ly as a result of Jon's specific question about the adjective 'friendly'. Though saying 'friendlier' is correct and natural, you cannot change the ending of a two-syllable -ly adverb to -lier -- not even in more informal English.

A sentence pattern with negative meaning confuses me | What's a "Fragment"?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
conditional clausemeaning of "crack it right up"Offspring - all I wantStructure of "how about and what about"Word "thinketh" -- What does it mean?Phrase 'take themselves too seriously'"Key to getting" vs "Key to get"the phrase "result in"call comebody on mobile phonemeaning 'as of late'What/how do you think of me?"would have been" vs "would"Excerpt: Look my eyes are just holograms...