development; progress
shelf
growth
dot
wealth

Compound sentences

To sell our holidays | What does this expression mean: to make sure?
Compound sentences #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:54 am   Compound sentences

Hello Teachers,

I'm having troubles to understand compound, complex and compound-complex sentences. Would you be kind to help me to understand them? I mean, give me some tips on how to make an easy approaching onto this matter.

Thanks!

:roll:
Jay Hari

Compound, complex and compound-complex sentences #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:56 am   Compound, complex and compound-complex sentences

Dear Jay,

Constant use of short sentences can be a bit strange to read. That's why you can join sentences using special words called 'conjunctions.

For example you can say:
'I like tea. I don't like coffee'. Instead of making two separate sentences you can create a compound sentence like this: 'I like tea but I don't like coffee.'

There are seven words that are the most common conjunctions - they are the magnificent seven!
and, although, as, because, but, if, or

A complex sentence contains one independent clause and at least one dependent clause. Unlike a compound sentence, however, a complex sentence contains clauses which are not equal. Consider the following examples:

Simple
My boss called me last night. I didn't answer the phone.
Compound
My boss called me last night, but I didn't answer the phone.
Complex
Although my boss called me last night, I didn't answer the phone.

There is much more to simple, compound, complex and compound-complex sentences so it's best you give us the sentence you don't understand.
What do you think?

TOEIC listening, photographs: A kickboxer is practising

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Compound, complex and compound-complex sentences #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:54 am   Compound, complex and compound-complex sentences

Torsten wrote:
Dear Jay,

Simple
Compound
Complex

What do you think?

Dear Torsten,

Thanks for your attention!

I have with me, a calendar that provides some information on how to keep up a healthy bird. On each aviary’s page is one tip, so this is one:

“Good Grooming is important to maintain a healthy bird. Be sure to have bird’s wings, beak, and toenails trimmed.”

Could that be considered a simple one because it does not have the conjunction?
Jay Hari

Infinitive constructions #4 (permalink) Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:48 am   Infinitive constructions

Dear Jay,

In my opinion your two sentences are simple sentences containing infinitive constructions.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A game of tennis

Infinitive constructions #5 (permalink) Mon Feb 09, 2004 22:55 pm   Infinitive constructions

Torsten wrote:
Dear Jay,

Sounds like it has infinite possibilities to look at....

Would you like to give some other examples of infinite contructions?
Jay Hari

Infinitives #6 (permalink) Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:50 am   Infinitives

Dear Jay,

As you pointed out, there are many ways the infinitive can be used in the English language. Here are some of them:

After numerals like the first, the last and the only or after superlatives.
Example:
My friend was the first person to offer me help.

After 'too + adjective/adverb' or 'adj./adv. + enough'.
Examples:
It is too early to go home.
We left early enough to catch the evening news.

'Object + infinitives' after verbs of causing, allowing, wishing and their opposites like:
to advise, to allow, to ask, to beg, to permit, to require, to want, to wish,
Examples:
I want you to call your father.
She didn't allow him to leave the room.
They expected him to finish the translation in 30 minutes.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The pyramids

Infinitives #7 (permalink) Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:53 am   Infinitives

Torsten wrote:
Dear Jay,

Example:

Examples:
It is too early to go home.

Examples:
I want you to call your father.
She didn't allow him to leave the room.

Your explanations were infinitely sweet…

Probably, it is a bit off topic, but I may ask you:

English language has an enormous potential in it. How do you see the fact that all the Nations in the world will have to transform its native’s characteristic in order to follow up with the demands from English language; how, this near future, will affects people?
Jay Hari

English as a means of international communication #8 (permalink) Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:03 am   English as a means of international communication

Dear Jay,

English is a means of international communication and the more people who use it the better.
Communicating in English you still can preserve your national and cultural traditions and habits. When you learn English you will get a better understanding of your mother tongue and you will exposed to a greater variety of opinions and views on all kinds of topics. You can exchange your experiences and ideas with people who might have a completely different approach to a certain issue and this will broaden your horizon. As long as you use your knowledge wisely the English language will be a powerful tool for you.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A shipyard

Compound sentences #9 (permalink) Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:17 am   Compound sentences

Dear Torsten,

Interesting! I find this communication language a complex matter. Although the English language originates from Britain, is America that is making it an international issue, and in some degree using it as controlling tool. No that I’m seeing it as threat for human civilization, but somewhat, a mechanism that permits to control and articulate all kinds of information.

Do you have information about any book or Link on the Internet, that deeply or lightly approaches these Social Changes? And of course, your views are very much appreciated.
Jay Hari

International English #10 (permalink) Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:58 pm   International English

Dear Jay,

Yes you right - the issue you mentioned is very interesting indeed as it covers a wide range of aspects.
On the one hand the influence of the US version of (especially spoken) English is undeniable. On the other hand though you will find that every English speaking nation has their own cultural and social heritage which will not vanish because of globalization and internationalization.
Interestingly enough there soon will be more speakers of English as a second language than there will be native English speakers. The question is what kind of English will those people speak. I have written a short article that deals with some of those questions, you can read it here: http://english-test.net/articles/9/

TOEIC listening, photographs: The oil rig

International English #11 (permalink) Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:47 am   International English

Torsten wrote:
Dear Jay,

Dear Torsten,

Thanks for your reply and please, excuse me for not promptly reply you.

Your approach on this matter is very interesting. You make me see and feel if avalanches of ESL speakers are coming from all over the world towards a small Valley known as English Speaking Countries. What will happen to this language anyways? From the time of Shakespeare to nowadays, English language has been adapting, readapting and changing its real form and characteristics. Probably, in the next 25 to 35 years, English will suffer so many more changes that it will no longer be called English anymore, and the native speakers will have to learn something like TIL (“The International Language”.), or whatever the New Language will conceive as a worldwide way of communication.
Jay Hari

Languages grow #12 (permalink) Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:33 am   Languages grow

Dear Jay,

I'm sure the English language will develop and grow even further and I don't think that it will 'suffer' from changes but the opposite will be the case - it will absorb even more vocabulary and become even richer than it already is. Please, bear in mind that a language always reflects the culture, mentality and knowledge of its speakers and the more diverse and sophisticated they are the better it is for their language.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The oil refinery

Languages grow #13 (permalink) Sat Feb 14, 2004 22:56 pm   Languages grow

Torsten wrote:
Dear Jay,

I'm sure the English language will develop and grow even further and I don't think that it will 'suffer' from changes but the opposite will be the case - it will absorb even more vocabulary and become even richer than it already is.

Dear Torsten,

I do appreciate your views about this matter, but I still have some concerns about the future of a Language, as you said, that is constantly influenced by others. How will be possible for a Language to survive in it’s integrity in such a hostile environment ?

So please, keep in mind also, how English was spoken some centuries ago… Hamlet So from that point to 35 years from now, how much more will English “suffer” ?

Please, bear in mind that a language always reflects the culture, mentality and knowledge of its speakers and the more diverse and sophisticated they are the better it is for their language.

That is a good theory, but not necessarily a good change.
Jay Hari

Is the English language really suffering? #14 (permalink) Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:35 am   Is the English language really suffering?

Dear Jay,

Wouldn't you agree that a person's view on how a language develops reflects their attitude towards life in general? I mean we could have the same discussion about a new technology. There are people claiming that the internet has a negative influence on children's reading behaviour. 'Children will read less due to the internet and subsequently they will not be able to learn the language as our generation did.'
Or you could even take the invention of the telephone. There were lots of people who were of the opinion that due to the telephone human communication and personal interaction will suffer.
Returning to our topic at hand I honestly can't see how a language can suffer. It is true, English (which vocabulary, as you know, stems from the French, the Greek, the Latin, the German and Celtic languages) was spoken by a much smaller group of people some centries ago then it is now. The English used to live on their islands and their language was spoken only there. Then they decided to conquer other countries in many parts of the world and so other people started speaking the English language too. Don't you think that back then there were many English people on the British isles who were afraid that their language was now suffering because people in remote parts of the world were starting speaking it?
It is true - the majority of all speakers of English, be it native speakers or people speaking English as a second language, speak a rather simple language. The majority of all people in many industrialized countries read a tabloid like 'The Sun' every day and watch soap operas and talk shows on TV. What kind of language are they exposed to? A rather simple one if not primitive. Yet, does this mean that the language itself is suffering? There are still enough sophisticated people who treat and use language differently.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Down hill skiing

Is the English language really suffering? #15 (permalink) Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:11 am   Is the English language really suffering?

Torsten wrote:
Dear Jay,

Dear Torsten,
Indeed, shall I agree with you about the evolution of English language or the poor understating of the majority?

And coming to the conclusion that the whole thing is about how one perceives our society in conjunct of a variety of events all together... Is the computers bad? Yes, it! Is the television bad? Is the media bad? Yes, it is! But I guess we all have to learn how to live with them as well as to give them up, by having a daily recycle of information, just as a full blossom early starting.

Thank you!
Jay Hari

Wait for and wait on"Am I clear?" vs. "I am being clear?"Solid debt negotiatorWhat does "worth doing" mean?We are not permitted and we are not allowed...up to you...Within and duringThe expressions 'about to' and 'going to'A case in the pointIs it correct?meaning of "next to me"At the weekendFree 2-month GMAT® & TOEFL® advisory forum