person skilled at telling stories
heresy
compendium
raconteur
myriad

TOEFL® essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture

New TOEFL® issue eaasy. Need help! | help me rate this essay, thx
TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:13 am   TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture

Modern Technology is creating a single world culture. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement. Give reasons and examples to support your answer.

From my point of view, modern technology is creating a single world culture on earth because it is rapidly changing the world’s living standards that results in creating a single world culture. New technologies including the Internet, Television, Electronic media, Means of transportation etc has a great impact on creating a single world culture all around the globe. I will use specific reasons to support my point.

First of all, the Internet and E-mail have changed the way the people communicate to each other. It is a new means of communication, a fast access to information and news. People communicate with each other, share their ideas, happiness and difficulties. We have a great opportunity to find out more about other countries and their history.

Secondly, the modern means of transportation allows people to move quickly from one place to another. A few centuries ago it was impossible to imagine to travel from one country to another in hours.

Finally, as a result of all mentioned above the boundaries between countries, their traditions and customs are erased. Many people migrate during their lives from one place or country to another, others want to get a new experience and knowledge or just for pleasure. People who share the one culture, should have the same language and English is developing as this language. In high-tech industry, English already is the standard for students and professionals.

In short, modern technology has a great impact on the way people live now. It is creating a new single world culture where traditions and distances are no longer of that importance.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social sciences class (2)
Ad33L786rules

Location: Home

TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:30 am   TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture

Nguyen Thuy Trang 083
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Modern technology is creating a single world culture

It's nonsensical to believe that modern technology is creating a single world. This belief is just based on the fact that more and more people are doing the same things throughout the world. I strongly disagree with this statement. It's the help of advanced technology that diversify world culture.

Admitting that, due to the use of benefits from the Internet, people tend to act in similar way like embracing English as the common language, wearing T-shirts or jeans instead of traditional clothes. However, in my thought, these are actually important frameworks to create new things built on features of each community. I don't deny that English is the common language but we have Englishes: American English, Indian English, Canadian English with variously interesting and unique expressions, idioms, usages....The designs for T-shirts or jeans ... are also different from region to region as well as stand for certain communities. It doesn’t become sole at all.

Obviously, the communication supported by the internet has created multifarious habits; perspectives... It enables people from this country get more information about other countries’ culture. The moderate following good foreign customs or the harmony between this nation’s values and other’s better ones will create an especially new culture that play a part of unusual excellence in human culture.

In addition, the spread of embracing internet are making a precious chance for every country to promote their culture. It’s was not until the popular of the internet that traditional clothes by ethnic minority people which once was never appropriately treated are now known of and highly appreciated, contribute to world culture. Through the internet, Western cooker can learn delicious Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese recipes like: Hanoi pho, Beijing fried chicken…. There has been more and more choices of cultural products for tourists, customers.... Is it the signal of a single world culture?

For that reasons, I strongly disagree that a single world culture is being created by modern technology. A melting pot with various or multifarious customs are in full bloom under the shining of modern equipment.
Xgirl

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Help me with this topic... #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:19 pm   Help me with this topic...

Modern technology is uniting the world in a single culture. Do you agree or disagree with it? explain and use specific examples.
Suvivar

TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 11, 2008 21:51 pm   TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture

For starters, survivar, you could look at what the previous posters have written. ;)
Which of their ideas and arguments do you like? Which do you agree or disagree with? Do you have any ideas or arguments that they haven't mentioned?
.
_________________

TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture #5 (permalink) Tue May 12, 2009 16:03 pm   TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture

Would anyone tell me, please if there is any difference between an argumentative and a discursive essay?
Thanks a lot!
Zoia

TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture #6 (permalink) Wed May 13, 2009 23:09 pm   TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture

modern technology is creating a single world culture.do you agree or disagree.?
No one can dout that modern technology has incresed cultural exchange among people.howover,i disagree that technology can make one culture for all the people.for so many reasons. first of all,many countries have incresed puplic awarness. i mean they make polcies to overcome the effect of media in thier own culture.they encourage their own people to adhere to their language,traditions,belives,even if they are living outside.
second, many people,organization enjoy multiculural world.they appreciate,respect variety.Inaddition,they find it an excellant appournity to exchange views.
Amina1

Location: USA.mn

TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture #7 (permalink) Sat May 16, 2009 17:00 pm   TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture

Anima, this really does require re-writing, preferably with a dictionary alongside you whilst you do it, and a printout of Torstens rules of English grammar.

It has many good points, but the bad points win the day.

Kitosdad.
_________________

TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture #8 (permalink) Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:16 am   TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture

@Ad33L786rules: LOL... this passage seems to be completely the same as an IELTS Essay Task 2...

anyway, great opinions
Jessica28

Re: TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture #9 (permalink) Tue Jun 07, 2011 16:47 pm   Re: TOEFL essay: Modern Technology is creating a single world culture

Modern technology is uniting the world in a single culture.

Taking from the ideas of Ad33L786rules's essay, I try to rewrite this essay.

Well, there are maybe a lot of errors in my essay. Please help me to figure out them.

I am preparing to take the Toefl test soon. So please help me.

Essay:

The turn of a new century has witnessed the breakthroughs of technology. Statistics show beyond doubt that modern technology is not only bringing forth many benefits but also resulting in numerous changes in all aspects of human's life. In recent years, there is a striking question that modern technology is uniting the world in a single culture. As far as I am concerned, I definitely do agree with this idea thanks to the inevitable roles of technology in global communication, information exchange, and international transportation.

Initially, the technological influence lies in the roof of cultural uniformity throughout the increase in global communication. For instance, with the advents of telecommunication like mobile phones or telephones, people, throughout the world, can talk together, exchange the experiences of their cultures; hence, this leads to the globalization in terms of culture. Furthermore, Internet, another vital factor of information technology, ends up making a great contribution to the cooperation of cultures. One person can speak to his/her friends via the internet and therefore understand as well as absorb their cultures spontaneously. By and large, worldwide communication offers the spread of one culture to all areas of the world.

More importantly, technology provides the efficient ways of information exchange. Nowadays, television or radio sets are becoming the inseparable devices of every family; they not only bring about many merits of entertainment but also become essential information channels so as to convey and unit the cultural insights from hundreds of cultures around the world. These technologies are obviously considered as tour guides offering the viewers with “an imaginary traveling” in one culture and then improving the dominance of this culture. How influential the cultural information from technology giving is!

Last but not least, the technological development in international transportation is hastening the mixture of cultures. Previously, people who lived in distant countries were unable to gather for their trades and in turn find out myriad difficulties to exchange their traditional customs, habits, and cultural identities. But then, owing to the improvement in the means of transportation such as trains, airports, and ships which are enabled by the outbursts of technology shorten the geological distance, provide more chances for traveling in different countries, and then trigger the intercultural uniformity. Indeed, technology places more value on the cultural mixture.

All from what I have just discussed above, technology stimulates the uniformity of culture because of the influences in many facets of life. In my writing, there is no comment about the disadvantages or advantages of this phenomenon, but the role of technology in cultural change can be undeniable.
Chuotkhongtui

Science and technology have improved our life in many waysHelp me check my essay ASAP!A live performancecorrect my writing i hope i improvePeople care more about public recognition than about money?Success is important, or it is more important to remain happy when you fail?Can you please correct the grammer for me and score it?Name a world leader you think is important. Give specific reasons to your choice.Toefl® Writing 4 - How to Use LandThe government must collect high taxes from the rich to help the poorplease help me rate itseek help to rate my essay: focus budget more on very young children education" PLZ EVALUATE IT" A student must rely on his self-confidence .....