petition; instance of asking for something; something that is asked for; object of a petition
substitute
fizzle
request
concern

How do you describe a great English teacher?

conditional clause | A quick grammar question...
How do you describe a great English teacher? #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 05, 2007 18:47 pm   How do you describe a great English teacher?

Hi,guys

As title. Here is my answer.

Andy is a great English teacher who's diligent and teaches us a lot.

I am trying to praise and encourage our English teacher. I would like to use
some elegant difficult vocabularies and to describe him.( I want to show I truly have learned a lot English. :p) Can you rewrite my sentences if possible?

Thanks in advance.

Maggie :shock:
_________________
In my view,the more mistakes someone else corrects me,the more I could learn.
And welcome to my blog: http://0rz.tw/793HL
Maggie

Location: Taiwan

How do you describe a great English teacher? #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 05, 2007 22:09 pm   How do you describe a great English teacher?

I'm learning English myself.
In my school English was taught and I passed through several teachers, but they all sucked - they did not teach me (and I can swear by the name of God not only ne) a thing, because their lessons were BORIIIING (extremely) and I often skipped them :) The problem was they could not interest me. Phrases like "would you like some coffee" which were taught are so lame - noone uses them (I don't). If teachers tried to teach students (especially young ones, like 10-15 years old) how to flip somebody off for starters, it would arouse their interest in learning English. Why? Because that's the kind of phrases normal children use most of their time. They would immediately fit them into their daily conversations and remember them for sure.
Teachers need to show their students that English has nothing to do with a boring grammar book - it is a language spoken by ordinary people, by millionares and by gangsters, just like their own language. In school I could not realize that and I hated my English teacher, because she kept pounding into our heads stupid rules and boring examples that we could not find any application in our chats.

I just want to watch South Park, Simpsons, American Dad, listen to Eminem and 2Pac and understand them, I don't want any high grades on English.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
How do you describe a great English teacher? #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 05, 2007 23:41 pm   How do you describe a great English teacher?

You've hit the nail on several heads here, Alex. Good point!

Maggie, your sentence is fine as it stands, not least because you have used your own words.

log in or log on?'the other way around' vs 'the other way round'What is the plural form of "corporate"?took her luggage down the lift down to the trackmeaning of "extra-wide street"Which one is right?meaning of "succeed with success"imagination and memorymeaning of "crack it right up"Offspring - all I wantStructure of "how about and what about"Word "thinketh" -- What does it mean?Phrase 'take themselves too seriously'