silent; noiseless; peaceful; tranquil; still; lacking activity
cautious
quiet
final
above

offering vs dispensing

What are compound nouns? | Thought that 'airs and graces' had something to do with coquettish behavour?
offering vs dispensing #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:22 am   offering vs dispensing

ESL/EFL Test #46 "Speaking: At the Station", question 5

The small cafe situated near platform 6 is now ......... free cups of tea to those waiting for the London train.

(a) discharging
(b) dispensing
(c) offering
(d) disposing

ESL/EFL Test #46 "Speaking: At the Station", answer 5

The small cafe situated near platform 6 is now offering free cups of tea to those waiting for the London train.

Correct answer: (c) offering

The small cafe situated near platform 6 is now dispensing free cups of tea to those waiting for the London train.
_________________________

Hi, why "dispense" is not right here. it means "give out" as well, doen't it?

Guillaume
Guillaume

offering vs dispensing #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 11, 2007 16:12 pm   offering vs dispensing

The noun dispenser is often used, and dispense can be used.

A dispenser is a machine that can provide refreshments, to dispense in the context of the test means to give out, automatically.
Offering is contextually more appropriate here.

If you require further explanation of the usage look of dispense(r) take a look at;

http://www.onelook.com/?w=dispensing&ls=a

Dispensing sounds very strange, and out of place.

cheers stew.t.
_________________
Please meet Stewart Tunncilff
Stew.t.

Location: Leipzig, Germany

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
A wolf in sheep's clothing?a dialog of greeting someone after long absenceWhat is entrepreneurial behaviour?The term 'entrepreneur'what is the meaning of "the pull through"?How to use the irregular verb fall?meaning of heavenWhen we can use 'Drop in and drop in on"?meaning of "dropping in on portions"What does pour mean?It being 3rd person singular number the line should be like...what is seem?Phrase "he was shrinking when"