Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person or business that sells goods to final consumers
retailer
persistence
clip
rise
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this idiom mean: "clear the air"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is difference between hit and beat? | difference between think and thinking
listening exercisestell a friend
What does this idiom mean: "clear the air" #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 am   What does this idiom mean: "clear the air"

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #409 "Air Idioms", question 2

I honestly think the time has come to clear the air -- means: ..........

(a) to open the windows
(b) to look at things more carefully
(c) to get rid of the smoke
(d) to make things simpler

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #409 "Air Idioms", answer 2

I honestly think the time has come to clear the air -- means: to make things simpler.

Correct answer: (d) to make things simpler

Your answer was: incorrect
I honestly think the time has come to clear the air -- means: to open the windows.

why is it the answer to this is to make things simpler? can u explain it to me?

Haggis
Haggis

What does this idiom mean: "clear the air" #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:44 am   What does this idiom mean: "clear the air"

In the test sentence, the phrase 'clear the air' is used as an idiom, which is a particularly colloquial expression where the words don't have their literal meaning.

Here you can find both the literal and idiomatic (or figurative) meaning of the phrase:

clear the air
Conchita
Language Coach

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What is difference between hit and beat? | difference between think and thinking
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the meaning of thrashing?What is the difference between paintings and sketches?What is the difference between adapted and accommodated?What is the difference in meaning between adaptable and compatibleallocate vs. arrangeMortgage supporting documents by signed on the same date that they are dated?hung up vs hung overWhat is the meaning of heightened?had vs didn'tmeaning of dizzywhat is the meaning of tobogganing?alone vs lonesomeWhy it is satŪ and not sitting? Is it because it was happening in the past?