to elevate; to lift; to excite; to arouse; to cause
harness
search
respond
raise

Time flies or time flys

Expression: "To give someone a last trade" | why do you say " be at sixes and sevens?"
Time flies or time flys #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:29 am   Time flies or time flys

Sorry if this seems a silly question but a friend and I seem to have tangled ourselves up in this one. Im 99% sure im right but...if you want to say "Time flies when you're having fun" Is is correct to use "flies" over "flys"? If you however say "we are flying at 35,000ft" why cant you simply add an "s" to "fly"? :shock:
Mikesz

Time flies or time flys #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:20 pm   Time flies or time flys

mikesz wrote:

No, we cannot do that.
fly - flies
ply - plies
dry - dries
cry - cries
try - tries

See?

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Time flies or time flys #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:37 pm   Time flies or time flys

Thought so! Many thanks indeed!!
Mikesz

Are the statement bellow called Preposition? (The mouse ran 'into' the hole.)The meaning of 'the least battered vegeteables' and 'scrag ends'The meaning of "let alone insulation"What does "Blackberry Pie" mean?meaning of the phrase "on the way down"What does "seal the deal" mean?I would always remember how much more difficult my first day at kindergarten was.systems administrators vs. system administratorspartial/complete negationWhat does "Quack myself up" mean?Correction: School should invest to build classroom and facilities rather than...The number has been less?most common vs. commonest