Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who currently holds an office or position
incumbent
emergency
error
technician
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Couldnt 'of that' or 'because' be used here instead of 'for'?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does this word mean | Is it correct to say....
listening exercisestell a friend
Couldnt 'of that' or 'because' be used here instead of 'for'? #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 am   Couldnt 'of that' or 'because' be used here instead of 'for'?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Synonyms for alone and lonesome", question 10

The nights were the worst part for she was haunted by ......... thoughts which were killing her.

(a) alone
(b) lonely
(c) lonesome
(d) single

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Synonyms for alone and lonesome", answer 10

The nights were the worst part for she was haunted by lonesome thoughts which were killing her.

Correct answer: (c) lonesome

Your answer was: incorrect
The nights were the worst part for she was haunted by single thoughts which were killing her.

I am not sure about 'for' in this sentence. Could any one explain the reason of using 'for' to me? Couldnt 'of that' or 'because' be used here instead of 'for'? Is there anything i leave out or can't see? I think it would be better if 'beccause' was used here. Am i right?

Thank you.
Mirka
Mirka

Couldnt 'of that' or 'because' be used here instead of 'for'? #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:35 am   Couldnt 'of that' or 'because' be used here instead of 'for'?

.'
Yes, 'for' means 'because', and either can be used here; it was the writer's choice to use 'for'. The only differences in usage are that only 'because' can begin a sentence, and 'for' is considered a bit more formal.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Couldnt 'of that' or 'because' be used here instead of 'for'? #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:44 am   Couldnt 'of that' or 'because' be used here instead of 'for'?

Hello,

After studying some replies to questions about "lonesome" and "lonely", I find both "lonesome" and "lonely" make no difference to the sentence of this Question 10. Furthermore, they are synonymous according to Dictionary.reference.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lonesome) and Thefreedictionary.com (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lonely). Please correct me if am wrong.

Here are some replies to the questions about "lonesome" and "lonely":

Quote:
#2 (permalink) Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:41 am difference between lonely, lonesome and solitary

Mister Micawber
Language Coach

http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic22364.html

#3 (permalink) Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:17 pm How can I distinguish "lonely" from "lonesome"?

Basically they mean the same and are often interchangeable, but there are situations when you can make the following distinctions.

Usually, when people who are lonely they are alone and unhappy about it.

Joe is very lonely after his wife's death.

Things can be lonesome if you want to attach a sad and lonely characteristic to them.

This lonesome blues puts me in a melancholic mood every time I hear it.

Ralf
Language Coach

#4 (permalink) Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:18 pm How can I distinguish "lonely" from "lonesome"?

Things can be lonely also.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic28566.html

Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does this word mean | Is it correct to say....
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
He's an ex-parrotfor a change.every inch the firemanweak and nauseous.Could someone tell which answer is the right one according to textbaby boomersHes on about???????a taxi is a cab.Henry would never forget.every day was a challengehe finally won a seatthe general election was announcedWe don't have any milk left